We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation near Palmerston Darwin

Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation near Palmerston Darwin

I am putting together an itinerary which includes Kakadu , Kathryn Gorge, and Litchfield, I will be staying in Batchelor for a few nights on my return loop, and then thinking of a night in Palmerston , which would give me access to adelaide river etc

Can I ask if the Palmerston area is an ok place to stay?

Not after anything flash, a motor inn etc would do.

Thanks in advance

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation near Palmerston Darwin

The Quest Serviced Apartments in Palmerston would be suitable it has studio, 1, 2, or 3 bedrooms. Nothing else really there.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation near Palmerston Darwin

What do you want I do in Adelaide river . Is Adelaide river town? Or the river crossing on way to kakadu.

There are closer places to stay than Palmerston.

Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation near Palmerston Darwin

Thanks for the replies

LsBob,

The Quest looks very nice, but I should have specified my budget. I was hoping for something around the $150 mark?? if possible?

hamiriver,

Apologies, I meant the Adelaide River crossing on the way to Kakadu. where they do the Jumping crocodile tours.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation near Palmerston Darwin

thanks for getting back. Wont you be going through Adelaide river on your way to Kakadu? Not sure of the need to stay there. There is nothing there other than the river and jumping croc, also window on the wetlands. Unless you are fishing- most people go straight through.

Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation near Palmerston Darwin

hamiriver

Yes will be going through on the way to Kakadu, just don't like the idea of leaving luggage in my vehicle while doing the croc jumping tours. I will also be quite busy stocking up on things before leaving Darwin as well, so not sure I want a full on busy day arriving late at Jabiru. The other option is to do a day trip for the tour from Darwin when I get back, all depends on convenience, and cost of accommodation.

Thanks again for your reply.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation near Palmerston Darwin

After Palmerston there is the Humpty Doo Hotel which does have some motel type accommodation. You probably need a few tattoos to be able to drink at the bar (females included) and they serve meals there in their dining room. There was a buffalo which used to drink at the bar there but it died of cirrhosis of the liver. It is on the way to the the Adelaide River crossing and the crocodile cruises. There is also the Bark Hut a bit further out but before the South Alligator Bridge.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Accommodation near Palmerston Darwin

The folk singer and ex NT Administrator Ted Egan has sung a song or two about the pub.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,466 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Accommodation near Palmerston Darwin

I think if you make the decision you are backtracking a fair amount and wasting this time.

There are always people around the tour area and I have always found it a very safe place and wouldnt have a concern leaving my car full of luggage. - so I would not worry about that. However personally if you dont feel safe doing it then we cant convince you otherwise.

There is a small supermarket in Jabiru and also a great bakery and also a huge woolies in Katherine. I think its a good idea to support these communities as well.

You could stock up, do jumping croc then stay at Mary River camp ground. They have cabins- but not sure of price as we have camped there. This is not all the way in the park. You could then continue on to Jabiru or Cooinda the next day.

Alternatively will you stay in darwin a while day, get organised, sight see and then next day leave for adelaide river croc and then jabiru

Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Accommodation near Palmerston Darwin

Thanks hamiriver,

food for thought in your advice, appreciated.

Mary River camp ground has cabins for $130- good option, thanks

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Accommodation near Palmerston Darwin

When are you visiting Katherine as it may be better to do the loop Darwin - Batchelor- Litchfield NP - Adelaide River township - Pine Creek - Katherine and return Katherine - Pine Creek - Kakadu Highway - Jabiru - Cooinda - Adelaide River Bridge for croc cruise - Darwin or v.v.

See parksaustralia.gov.au/kakadu/… for a list of accommodation in and near Kakadu.

There then is no reason to look for accommodation near Palmerston.

Edited: 19 February 2014, 05:15