We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kakadu less strenuous day trips

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
227 posts
249 reviews
Save Topic
Kakadu less strenuous day trips

We are planning to spend 3 days in Kakadu next July.

Our last day will be spent on seeing Ubir and then the Coorobori Billabong tour on the way back to Darwin.

On the first day we will do the Yellow River sunset tour, and during the day see the Noulangie region.

We would like to do a tour on the other full day we have, but it seems like the only really big tours are those to Jim Jim falls. We are a family of 4, 2 very active teenagers, and 2 adventurous, but not so active parents of teenagers. Specifically I'm due for knee replacement surgery in a few weeks and while I hope to be up to 100% by then, I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be allowed to be scrambling and crawling over rocks again.

What are other similar type day trips we can take? What about Maguk gorge? Can we go there in our own rented 4WD? How long will the whole trip take? Would we have time to also do an air tour - how good are they in the dry season when there aren't spectacular waterfalls to see?

We hope to stay at the lodge in Cooinda.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kakadu less strenuous day trips

Hi

You can definately get to Maguk by 4WD - just check with the hire company that you can take the car on an unsealed road. Maguk is beautiful, in fact one of my favourite spots in Kakadu, but there is still a bit of walking and scrambling over rocks to get there (although not as severe as Jim Jim).

An alternative would be Gunlom, a waterfall down the southern end of the park. It is a bit more driving, and again you would need to be able to take your car off the sealed roads, but once you get there it is a short easy stroll through the picnic ground to the falls where you can swim. Be aware though that this waterfall will dry up by the end of the dry season. Also the active teenagers can do the climb to the top of the waterfall while mum and dad enjoy relaxing below.

An alternative would be to take one of the cultural tours on offer in the park - more info here

parksaustralia.gov.au/kakadu/…tours.html

My other advice is book your accommodation at Cooinda as early as possible, it often books out in July.

Cheers

2. Re: Kakadu less strenuous day trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 05:18