We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kakadu with my Dad (aged 74)

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kakadu with my Dad (aged 74)

Recently returned from Kakadu where I went on 2 amazing tours with Territory Expeditions and Kakadu Dreams. My Dad would really love to go there, and I was planning a trip for us, but didn't really want to camp or do too much hiking, although Dad is very fit for his age. Are there any organised tours over 2 or 3 days or does anyone have experience of exploring the park with someone slightly older?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
2,919 posts
189 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kakadu with my Dad (aged 74)

Well I am very very nearly that age and I can still go around Kakadu camping but a lot depends on your father's physical health and whether he can take the hotter climate.

For tours look at this list as a starting point as to what tours are around, the list is not comprehensive but it is a starting point. www.ntstandby.com.au/index.cgi…

I did take my father around when he was 80 but the days travelling was kept short and coming from a Melbourne winter he did find it rather hot .

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kakadu with my Dad (aged 74)

You could consider hiring a car and doing the trip by yourselves. That way you can tailor walks, rest stops, timing etc. to suit you and your dad. There are a few accommodation options in the park to choose from.

It is easy to get around on your own and there is a great program of free ranger guided walks and talks if you want to learn more about what you are seeing (assuming you are planning to travel in the dry season).

More info here parksaustralia.gov.au/kakadu/…tours.html

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kakadu with my Dad (aged 74)

Thanks. I was thinking about hiring a car and doing it by ourselves. The tours I did with Kakadu Dreams and Territory Expeditions were brilliant, and it was great to have a guide, but I think Dad would rather stay in one of the hotels instead of camping.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,528 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kakadu with my Dad (aged 74)

Gissie there are tours that include staying in a hotel if you decide that is the way you want to go.

5. Re: Kakadu with my Dad (aged 74)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 January 2015, 06:18