We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kakadu end April - mixed messages on what roads are open

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Kakadu end April - mixed messages on what roads are open

We are looking to go to kakadu over Easter and I have read in these forums that it is "unlikely" that the some of the roads especially to Jim Jim Falls will be open or available. Yet, I can see that Intrepid tour is running tours to this area starting early April and esp to the falls. What is the general consensus? I understand that the wet season can vary year on year but there must be a general rule - why else would intrepid be running these tours?

Thanks

Ece

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,209 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kakadu end April - mixed messages on what roads are open

They won't be, if the roads aren't open and there's no way of knowing when the roads will open. We often have a lot of rain in April and into May and until it happens or doesn't, no one knows for sure if the roads will be open.

Make contact with the tour company and ask them about bookings etc and refunds if tours do not happen.

http://www.ntlis.nt.gov.au/roadreport/

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,250 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kakadu end April - mixed messages on what roads are open

Highly unlikely and it is not mixed messages. As Sue C says depends on the rain. When you go to Kakadu you will realise why rain shuts things for months and months ;}

Easter is late this year- but there will still most likely be significent levels of water around and many roads to clear and waterways to clear of crocs. Last year it was not opened until June- late I think.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kakadu end April - mixed messages on what roads are open

It is impossible to know in advance if the roads to the falls will be open or not. Although I also think it is unlikely.

I would say Intrepid is taking a punt, as it would have to do, and will have a back up plan for if the road is closed. I know many tour groups substitute Maguk (which is also a gorgeous waterfall) for Jim Jim if the road conditions dictate. It would be worth contacting Intrepid to see what the back up plan is if you are considering doing the tour and the falls are important to you.

Edited: 12 January 2014, 07:03
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kakadu end April - mixed messages on what roads are open

Thanks to you all.

Useful, as always, is this forum!

Ece

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
12,028 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kakadu end April - mixed messages on what roads are open

We went to Kakadu in early April many years ago and all the roads were open. We didn't go to Jim Jim falls though.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,209 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kakadu end April - mixed messages on what roads are open

That year it must have been a dry Wet season to have All the roads open so early.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kakadu end April - mixed messages on what roads are open

I agree with Sue C - that's unusual.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Kakadu end April - mixed messages on what roads are open

Jim Jim and Twin Falls have opened in June / July for the past 10 years so I would say it's 99% certain they will not be open in April. Maguk sometimes opens in May and sometimes June, depending on conditions. Tours in early April will likely visit Gunlom instead of Jim Jim / Twin and Maguk, as Parks try to open Gunlom ready for Easter. If Gunlom is still closed- Gubara or Boulder Creek are the other options. Scenic flights over Jim Jim and Twin are fantastic at that of year and while I know it's a completely different experience than seeing them by road, at least you would get to see them. So perhaps check with Intrepid to see if you have time for a scenic flight, as an alternative.

9. Re: Kakadu end April - mixed messages on what roads are open

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2015, 05:18