We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

I want to make some reservations, our trip is getting close, the plan is to fly to Darwin from Sydney after a 15 hour flight from California on Saturday May 3.

The flight arrives about 1:45 pm, we will be tired and either sleep in Darwin or is there an easy stop no more than an hour drive away, on the way to Kakadu?

So, we will have three nights, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday, plus Sunday and Wednesday can be sightseeing days. Wednesday night we will sleep in Darwin because I plan on a 6 am flight to Cairns on Thursday. Should we plant ourselves in one place for three nights? We plan on being away from the hotel all day sightseeing and hiking, we don't need any day time rest time and don't mind changing hotels. We'll just rent a 2wd car.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

I have made my rezzies, 2 nights Croc Inn and 1 night Cooinda. Thanks for all the help. We will spend our first night on the Esplanade at Darwin and our last night near the airport.

Longhorn, we aren't city folks, much prefer the bush, even if all we do is sit and stare at it.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
370 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

I think I can add a day up here and make it 6 nights total. Shall we stay at the Batchelor Resort? Should I cancel my night at Cooinda and stay 2 nights at Batchelor so we can have a nice day at Litchfield? Or just add 1 night at Batchelor? The map shows that it's about a 4 hour drive from Cooinda.

Batchelor is only a little more than an hour from Darwin, so should I forget about my last overnight in Darwin and just sleep in Batchelor and get the 10:15 am flight to Cairns? It looks like a nice big loop up through Jabiru then down through Pine creek and up to Litchfield and on to Darwin.

I was thinking about spending one night on Fitzroy Island, but an Aussie friend of mine suggests skipping it and adding the time to Port Douglas, so that frees up some Top End time.

Merry Christmas!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

If staying in Batchelor you can't go past the Rum Jungle Bungalows. It's awesome.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

I would keep your current booking for Cooinda, start the day with an early morning Yellow Water cruise or something else in Kakadu then after lunch drive across to Batchelor for the night (not much to do in Batchelor itself).

Next day visit Litchfield then drive back to Darwin for the night before your flight.

Or yes you could just spend your last night in a Batchelor, but you run the slight risk of something going wrong on the drive to the airport (e.g. Car trouble). Plus there is more in Darwin to do in the evening, and better restaurants than in Batchelor.

15. Re: 3 nights in Kakadu - all at Gagudju Croc Inn or ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 December 2014, 06:19