We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

March or April weather?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
372 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
March or April weather?

I'm having to cancel a November trip to reef/Uluru/Blue Mountains because of husband's knee injury, so we will reschedule for early next year.

We have 2 weeks, I might now change things around and leave out either Uluru or Blue Mountains and add Kakadu, which I know we would love. I'm just starting to read about the area but March & April seem to have some scary weather? We don't mind heat but would rather not have pouring rain or storms. I don't want to go too far into the year because it will be too cool! We have a friend at Batemans Bay to see, and I don't want to "freeze".

Going to the reef (Port Douglas) is a must because we love snorkeling.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
372 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: March or April weather?

Yikes, now I have a question about hotel availability, the two lodges appear to be all booked up through early April, but March shows availability. Does this park get all booked up during school holidays?

Moab, Utah
Destination Expert
for Moab
Level Contributor
3,359 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: March or April weather?

If storms and pouring rain would ruin your trip then it is probably best to avoid Kakadu at that time. There's always a chance it will happen at that time. If you could deal with the rain when, and if, it happens then you'll be okay.

For example, this year at the end of March (Easter), the Gagudju Lodge Cooinda was all booked up, lots of families, and there was nearly 12 inches of rain over the three days. You're not going to be able to predict what happens next year.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,252 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: March or April weather?

If thats Easter - then yes it will be booked as its usually too hot to camp and other issue of rain...As Noel says above- there was flooding throughout the park- No one thought that would happen either.

Both are dicey so- you just have to take a risk. There are quite a few walks which are shut due to water hazards and crocodiles in the area of billabongs etc. A good idea is to take local tours when you get there which will have better access vehicles.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
372 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: March or April weather?

Thanks, perhaps late April to early May would be better?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: March or April weather?

In the north the "wet' season usually goes through until the end of April and you will not freeze in Bateman's Bay in winter ( Aug average 4.6-18C).

KB

c

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: March or April weather?

In the north the "wet' season usually goes through until the end of April and you will not freeze in Bateman's Bay in winter ( Aug average 4.6-18C).

KB

c

Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,570 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: March or April weather?

You would probably be better looking at doing this trip closer to our winter, as that's the best time of year to visit our North (Kakadu, Cairns, reef etc) as its the dry season and little chance of storms. As others have said, October-May is the wet season, with the heaviest rains generally in Feb/March. It's warm up north all year round so they never get winter weather, and winter in the south is still pretty mild compared to the USA.

8. Re: March or April weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 November 2014, 06:21