We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bugs in Kakadu First Week of October?

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
52 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Bugs in Kakadu First Week of October?

We're going to be in Kakadu next week (the 30th through the 4th) and I'm trying to figure out whether we should bring our bug hats that have a protective netting we can use to cover our faces and neck. Are the bugs bad enough this time of year that we should bring them? I'd rather not bring them if we don't really need them (i.e. if insect repellent will be enough to do the trick). I am particularly sensitive to midge bites. Thanks! Looks like we're in for another hot week!

Oz
Level Contributor
12,508 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bugs in Kakadu First Week of October?

Hi,

Your'e in luck the first week of October is a holiday for all insects in the NT so you should be "good to go" without the fly veil. I think I would still carry some DEET though some may not be following the news.

Cheers,

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
52 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bugs in Kakadu First Week of October?

Wow, lucky bugs. Thanks.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,252 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bugs in Kakadu First Week of October?

OZ- I dont think this has been gazetted yet as a holiday....!

If I were you I would bring them as the flys are very annoying and as it gets hotter they will be out as they are now. Best protection againgst midgies is to wear long pants and l/sleeves.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bugs in Kakadu First Week of October?

I personally never use them as I find the net more annoying than the flies.

The real issue can be mozzies and a good quality repellant will work for those (and this is coming from a mozzie magnet).

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bugs in Kakadu First Week of October?

I left Kakadu today. The one fly that followed me round stayed in our car so I've cleared the area for you.

The mozzies come off the floodplains to feed on tourists at sunset.

This morning I forgot my repellent before taking the dawn Yellow Waters cruise. Being a mozzie magnet I was somewhat panicked but the guide refused to turn the boat around. Nothing was biting except the crocs.

I found long sleeves, long pants and/or the green Bushmans worked fine everywhere. It's a strong DEET repellent + sunscreen.

I saw a couple of overseas tourists wearing fly nets. They looked a bit silly.

Edited: 24 September 2013, 08:17
Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,252 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bugs in Kakadu First Week of October?

I too was in Kakadu over the weekend and there were large bush flies- the ones that bite thru your clothing. Depending on where you are from and your tolerance to flies, midgies and mozzies- I would still take it if you think you could need it.

Midgies not so much but lots of mozzies.

Cambridge, MA
Level Contributor
52 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bugs in Kakadu First Week of October?

Thanks for all the advice. I can't quite bring myself to wear the silly hat, so I think I will go for the long slacks/shirt approach and use plenty of DEET.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bugs in Kakadu First Week of October?

Make sure the pants and shirts are very lightweight and loose. It's VERY hot at the moment - around 40 degrees (Celsius) every day. Up on top of the escarpments it's even hotter. But gorgeous.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bugs in Kakadu First Week of October?

There was an article in the paper today about a March fly invasion in Palmerston (just outside Darwin).

I can't help but laugh when I hear this as all I can think of is part of a Darwin show by Billy Connelly where he was wondering why no-one told the March flies it was f*@king November.

10. Re: Bugs in Kakadu First Week of October?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:20