We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water Buffalo

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Water Buffalo

We are planning a holiday in the Northern Territory in June 2014...so excited!!...and will be spending a number of days exploring Kakadu and Litchfield NPs. The only information I can find about water buffalo is that they are big, dangerous animals that we should keep well away from. I am feeling a tad anxious about what to do if we encounter any at close quarters. What are our chances of seeing water buffalo as we do some of the walks in these national parks and what do we do if we happen to come face to face with any?

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Water Buffalo

Welcome to the forum.

The chances of you seeing buffalo on your walks in Kakadu is very, very, very low - absolutely nothing to worry about.

Buffalo are an introduced species and are controlled. You do occasionally see buffalo around the Yellow Water area (mostly on the cruise) as there are cultural reasons for leaving a few in this region - visit the Warradjun Cultural Centre near Cooinda to learn more about this.

If you do want to see a couple of buffalo, on the way to Kakadu have a look on the left hand side of the road (Arnhem Hwy) just before you get to the turn off for Window on the Wetlands. There is a Govt research buffalo farm there.

Enjoy your visit.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water Buffalo

Thank you for your prompt and reassuring reply. We do indeed want to see buffalo, just not so close that we can see the whites of their eyes! We are very much looking forward to our visit. If I think of anything else to worry about, I'll let you know :)

Oz
Level Contributor
12,504 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water Buffalo

Hi,

Nothing to worry about vis a vis the Water Buffalo as the crocs have eaten most of them.

Cheers,

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water Buffalo

No worries tuian

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
325 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water Buffalo

Haven't seen any myself out at Kakadu or Litchfield. Funny talking with one of the indigenous tour guides at Yellow Waters. Most of them are family members of the traditional owners and all big family. He said they haven't eradicated the buffaloes but try to control their numbers out in the back blocks. His comment on why they didn't eradicate them was 'Have you seen the price of beef lately? They come in handy'.

The only places we have seen buffalo lately was out on the road from the Arnhem HWY to Fogg Dam where there were some behind the fence on the right.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
231 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Water Buffalo

I visited Kakadu Buffalo Farm when I went on the Aboriginal Animal Tracks Tour.

A great tour learning about and collecting bush tucker, learning about culture and finishing with bush tucker cooked on the fire. We got up close to lots of buffalo(from the safety of a vehicle)we also cooked and ate buffalo.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Water Buffalo

Thank you everyone for your feedback :)

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
5,245 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Water Buffalo

Can I just throw a spanner in the works,,,

We were advised by rangers that there were some around and to take care when we were doing a walk near Nourlangie one day early in the season, We didnt see them in the end, but if you are staying on the main tourist areas you most likely will not see them.

Near Mamakula you will also see tracks but have not seen them.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Water Buffalo

Thanks hamiriver, I do want to know what to expect. We will only have a few days in the area so will probably only have time to see the main tourist areas. Hopefully, like you, we wont see any buffalo. Cheers.

10. Re: Water Buffalo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2014, 05:16