We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting kakadu from uk, how long?

cheshire
Level Contributor
399 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Visiting kakadu from uk, how long?

We ave booked or flights for august 2013, me, my husband, my sister and two kids both age 10. We fly into Darwin and out of cairns 16 nights later. We would like to see Uluru too as well as really explore the reef. We love national parks, history, wildlife etc. Should I stay in Farsi or in kakadu? What are the top sees in the area? How many nights where etc?

Grateful for any help at all!

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Visiting kakadu from uk, how long?

I forgot to mention that if you do decide that the Jim Jim/Twin Falls trip is for you (it is beautiful country) it is best to do it from Cooinda.

I would also recommend the Yellow Water cruise while at Cooinda if it is not already part of your plan.

Enjoy!

cheshire
Level Contributor
399 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Visiting kakadu from uk, how long?

Hi and thank you so much. We have booked YWC early morning on our last day in the park before we head back to Darwin. Our kakadu itinery is 2 nights jabiru and 1 night Cooinda. First day mamakula wetalnds, bowali and Ubirr at sunset.

Second day not sure.....jim jim or bush ranger activity?

I'm a bit worried about crocs at jim jim.....

Third day yellow water and home.

Thanks so much again.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Visiting kakadu from uk, how long?

Hard choice as they are very different experiences.

I note you will be here in August. Jim Jim will be dry. The water in the plunge pool is always freezing which is part of the reason the plunge pool environment does not suit crocs (but don't swim in the river on the way to the plunge pool and pay attention to national parks signs). Or if you are worried just stay out of the water.

Having said that given your previous comments I'd lean towards recommending the ranger experience for you.

Edited: 14 February 2013, 10:12
cheshire
Level Contributor
399 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Visiting kakadu from uk, how long?

Thanks. Think we will do bush walk with a ranger. Great help. I think bowali will help with this?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,136 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Visiting kakadu from uk, how long?

You would probably need to book well in advance for any tour.

Jabiru
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Visiting kakadu from uk, how long?

If you say you're not fit, give Jim Jim Falls a miss and enjoy a couple of the free ranger-guided activities instead.

There will be talks at the rock art sites, wetland areas, ranger-guided walks, slide shows in camp grounds...

The program runs from May to October -- just turn up and join in!

A hike into the gorge at Jim Jim is great (even when the falls have dried up) if you can make it all the way, scrambling over rocks and large boulders you will need a reasonable level of agility, balance and overall fitness.

See the officers at Bowali Visitor Centre! They will help you out with information on all ranger talks and activities and somes of the easier yet worthwhile walks.

Edited: 17 February 2013, 00:59
cheshire
Level Contributor
399 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Visiting kakadu from uk, how long?

Thanks. I really like the look of the animal tracks safari but again it's expensive. I think we will go for the free ranger tours....

Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: Visiting kakadu from uk, how long?

Hi there everyone, I am also planning also to visit Darwin Kakadu and Katherine August 2013 but more like staying 10 to 12 days all up so any feed back as to how best we should split this up over 3 areas also would be great. W

We will flying into Darwin and hiring a car or fwd not sure yet still trying to work this out.

Also any feedback on which accom place best to stay around 4 star in Darwin Kakadu and Katherine.

Kind regards Laura

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
4,501 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: Visiting kakadu from uk, how long?

Hi Laura

This post is months old - you are more likely to get a better response if you start a new topic.

Good luck :)

30. Re: Visiting kakadu from uk, how long?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 06:20