We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4WD campervan trip Darwin ,Kakadu, Katherine.

Sydney
Level Contributor
30 posts
23 reviews
4WD campervan trip Darwin ,Kakadu, Katherine.

I have booked on spur of the moment a KEA 4wd capervan for a trip in NT. Pick up campervan in Darwin and then want to go to Kakadu, Katherine , Litchfield NP. Would appreciate advice on following: Do I need to book a camp site inside Kakadu, and which sites are recommended; Where is it not safe to swim in Kakadu and are there any Salt Water Crocs in the park; How many days should I allow for the trip, we are in our fifties and do not want to hurry . Greatly appreciate any advice, thanks Simon.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin, Kakadu National Park
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
190 reviews
1. Re: 4WD campervan trip Darwin ,Kakadu, Katherine.

Booking ... depends on time you are going, July is school holidays so most places will be crowded, so booking recommended though for some bush camping areas you cannot book.

Swimming... in Kakadu no no no unless it is a swimming pool at a resort. People used to swim in Twin Falls as there were only freshwater crocodiles there but after some large males started to be aggressive, swimming was stopped. Litchfield some areas you can but first see what signs are. The areas are not opened until the rangers have trapped any saltwater crocodiles that have moved in during the Wet.

Length of trip ???? depends the pace you want to travel at and how long you want to stay at a place. You could see the main parts of Kakadu in 2 days and Litchfield in 1 day and a couple of days for Katherine plus the traveling time but you could sit back and have a more leisurely trip in spend 2 or more weeks. My last 2 times into Kakadu I spent a week each time just travelling around and making a base camp.

Kakadu
Level Contributor
106 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: 4WD campervan trip Darwin ,Kakadu, Katherine.

You can swim in Kakadu check out their website for a map and where it is safe because there certainly are Crocs in the park,

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
190 reviews
3. Re: 4WD campervan trip Darwin ,Kakadu, Katherine.

Yes forgot about Gulom, used to swim there often, are other areas but check for signs first.

Sydney
Level Contributor
30 posts
23 reviews
4. Re: 4WD campervan trip Darwin ,Kakadu, Katherine.

many thanks for info. This will be my first time to NT so am very excited. Do I need the 4wd capmervan or will A 2wd suffice, the 2wd would be more comfy, toilet on board etc to cater for my aging bladder.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,163 posts
190 reviews
5. Re: 4WD campervan trip Darwin ,Kakadu, Katherine.

A 2WD campervan will get you to most places except Jim Jim Falls and Alligator billabong in Kakadu. In Litchfield you would not be able to do the Reynolds river Track/Sandy falls and probably Blyth homestead, the creek crossings would be too deep.

Katherine no 4Wd needed if keeping to the main sights.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
131 posts
1 review
6. Re: 4WD campervan trip Darwin ,Kakadu, Katherine.

While officially swimming is only recommended at Jabiru swimming pool, many people swim at Gunlom and Maguk (Barramundi Gorge). Gunlom is open but Maguk is still closed- hopefully opening in the next week or 2. There are rockpools at the top of Gunlom that provide a spectacular view and offer safe swimming if you're concerned about the plungepool. It's a dirt road to get though and car rental companies don't like you taking their 2wd's off road so be aware ! Gunlom also has a nice campground- full bathroom facilites and a kiosk. On the way back, Boulder Creek is worth a detour though i'm not sure how much water will be there at this time of year- it's pretty though and you should be able to have a dip.

7. Re: 4WD campervan trip Darwin ,Kakadu, Katherine.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2012, 15:16