We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week in Nelson

Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
A week in Nelson

My daughters and I will spend Dec 16-22 in Nelson. Any suggestions on things to do and site seeing. Im renting a car so we can travel a bit also.

6 replies to this topic
Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
474 reviews
1. Re: A week in Nelson

Abel Tasman National park is a must. You can do day trips, overnight or multi day triyps - walking, kayaking or boat.Kaiteriteri is another popular spot. Do they like mountain biking? A fantastic MTB park there. Lots of excellent wineries in nelson region. The centre of nz is a short uphill walk to the geographical centre of nz. Tahuna beach is a must and rabbit island. Also a day trip to Lake Rotoiti at Nelson Lakes National Park. Lovely bush walks, stunning lake. The Nelson Saturday market is world famous and definitely the best ive ever been to (only on a saturday morning though). If they want to swim in the river the matai, lee, anniseed rivers are all popular. Nelson is a vibrant spot. And if they are a little adventurous i definitely recommend abel tasman canyoning on torrent river. But you gotta have a spark for adventure!!! Also hire paddleboards at tahuna beach. And THE FERRY habour cruise and to haulashore island and lighthouse is one of my best things to do in Nelson.

Finally - how old are your daughters, and what are interests because none of the above may interest them!

Edited: 12 September 2018, 04:11
Level Contributor
3 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: A week in Nelson

Thanks for the information. They are 10&12. All of those of those things sound great.

Nelson-Tasman...
Level Contributor
9,317 posts
474 reviews
3. Re: A week in Nelson

book the ferry here. it is a great trip and not many seem to know about it http://www.theferry.co.nz

Contact moana for paddleboard hire https://www.moananzsup.co.nz

The kids may love the bumper boards, trampoline park, megaslide and roller skating at tahuna beach area as well. in fact staying at tahuna is a good base for families as its so convenient to walk to the beach

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
30,219 posts
93 reviews
4. Re: A week in Nelson

WOW is a great destination on a wet day - your kids will love the amazing fashions http://www.wowcars.nz/

The beach at Tahunanui is lovely and safe for swimming. The playgrounds there are hugely popular.

California
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: A week in Nelson

Is 5 days too much for Nelson in south island of New Zealand. I will be spending 3 weeks in south island and would love any input of how I should allocate my days. We will be renting a car

Thanks so much

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
30,219 posts
93 reviews
6. Re: A week in Nelson

CaliforniaTeresa

best start your own thread - your visit is considerably different to the original question.

3 weeks is a good amount of time to explore - however if spending 5 days in one location you severly restrict other options.

So start a new thread - list time of year you plan to visit - who you are (family? solo? honeymoon?) - name three things you want to do/see in the South Island

Reply to: A week in Nelson
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nelson