We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eagle bay or Prevelly region with kids?

Singapore
Level Contributor
108 posts
33 reviews
Eagle bay or Prevelly region with kids?

Hi all,

It's my first time to Perth and Margaret river with my young kids and we intend to be there in early June. Am planning to stay 5 or 6 nights in the region but need your expert advise at to whether I should stay in the eagle bay region or prevelly area? I just need a good base from which to explore the region. Was planning to stay at redgate beach escape but just realized eagle bay looks beautiful too. Appreciate your advice. Thank u

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,455 posts
70 reviews
1. Re: Eagle bay or Prevelly region with kids?

Be aware it will be fairly chilly and not really beach weather (unless, like me, you like just fossicking along the edge of the water picking up shells) so plan your activities and clothing accordingly.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,959 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Eagle bay or Prevelly region with kids?

The whole of MR region is easily accessible from anywhere between Busselton and Augusta. The beach at Eagle Bay is more protected from wind and waves than at Prevelly. In fact any accommodation along the beachfront between Eagle Bay and Busselton is perfect for kids. I have stayed a number of times in Dunsborough with young family members and they absolutely loved the beach. No waves/wind and shallow water/sandbanks to play around. Another advantage is you can stay at beachfront accom. along the Dunsborough/Busselton stretch and just walk across to the beach. Check out some of the accom. available at Dunsborough with absolute beachfront access (no roads to cross). I recently did a review on one of them but there are many to choose from.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,325 posts
2,127 reviews
3. Re: Eagle bay or Prevelly region with kids?

Eagle Bay is very protected however in June it will be too cold for swimming.

Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
4. Re: Eagle bay or Prevelly region with kids?

Eagle bay isn't as central as Busselton or Margaret River. Try places like Gracetown if you want beach but central to the region.

Singapore
Level Contributor
108 posts
33 reviews
5. Re: Eagle bay or Prevelly region with kids?

Thanks everyone! Really grateful for the prompt response! : ))

I will check out Busselton, Gracetown and Dunsborough too for beachfront accommodation. Definitely won't be swimming though, but would love to just stroll by the beach and pick up seashells! : )

I am intending to stay about 6 nights here. Will it be too much? Or should i stay 4 nights and then spend the last 2 nights near Perth so I can get to the airport easily? My flight departs at 5pm on Fri 13 June so I think it is still possible to drive direct from MR region to the airport right?

What would be your suggested activities (with kids) for this region if I stay for , say, 6 nights? Prior to this, I am thinking of staying 3 nights in a farm stay near York (either Lavendale or The Lime & Orchard) and then driving to the MR region from there. Is that too ambitious? Google maps states it would take 4hr+ to get from York to MR

Is Redgate Beach Escape far from MR region and inaccessible? Thanks for your time! : )

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,455 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Eagle bay or Prevelly region with kids?

York to MR is not too ambitious, I've done it many times :-)

Singapore
Level Contributor
108 posts
33 reviews
7. Re: Eagle bay or Prevelly region with kids?

Thank you everyone!

Silly question, but can I safely assume there is no need for aircon at all in June? The house i am keen to rent does not provide air-con, only ceiling fan.

Another question would be if that house has no wifi nor broadband, how can I get around it? Can I purchase some portable wifi contraption from a Telco to use with my laptop/ipads?

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,455 posts
70 reviews
8. Re: Eagle bay or Prevelly region with kids?

You would need heating rather than aircon in June, IMO.

You can get a Telstra dongle which will provide internet connection, they're pre-paid and you just plug them into a USB port. It's been a while since I bought mine (they're rechargeable if you need to) but I don't recall gasping at the cost.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,342 posts
243 reviews
9. Re: Eagle bay or Prevelly region with kids?

A USB dongle is a portable device that attaches to a USB port to enable a PC to connect to WiMAX and (or) 3G networks and has a SIM card inside. They may be called other names overseas - in Canada it was called a "rocket". You can buy a dongle at most mobile phone shops or even over the counter at some large supermarket service desks. They are rechargeable and the cost ranged from around $30 when i last bought one.

It took a bit of messing around to get mine operational - the ID code was stamped lightly into the card rather than on a legible sticker, so was quite hard to find initially, but worked OK after that. It was rechargeable online using credit card too.

Edited: 07 May 2014, 03:06
10. Re: Eagle bay or Prevelly region with kids?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Margaret River