We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vineyard Tour with Toddler

Sri Kembangan...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Vineyard Tour with Toddler

Hello ;

I am in the midst of planning for a trip to Margaret River end March. We are a family of 2 Adults travelling with a toddler. One of the activity that we would like to do is to be able to visit vineyard but not much of wine tasting (As i am currently pregnant and hubby will be doing the driving).

I've tried contactig a few wineries (Voyager do not cater for age of 7 and below while Laurence do have such tour) but my request has been turn down.

Would appreciate if anyone can shed some lights on the vineyard tour available in the region?

Thanks a lot!

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,143 posts
80 reviews
1. Re: Vineyard Tour with Toddler

Can you tell us what you hope to gain out of a winery tour if neither of you want to taste wines?

Some of the Margaret River Wineries have good restaurants and some have lovely gardens. Those at Voayager Estate are particularly stunning, but in the end it's a winery and the main reason for going there would be to taste their wines.

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,194 posts
2 reviews
2. Re: Vineyard Tour with Toddler

I must admit this was another one that sounded to me like *I don't want to go to __ but I do want to go to __* :-)

Perhaps if you explain in more detail what sort of experience you are after, you say you want a >>tour<< so you want to see the growing and making process maybe?

Edited: 28 February 2014, 05:57
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,341 posts
243 reviews
3. Re: Vineyard Tour with Toddler

There are also some good fun small group tours available with companies like 'Wine for Dudes" who do a tour lasting from about 10am to 4pm, covering 3 or 4 vineyards and a choc factory where you get a lighthearted commentary about the history of the region while someone else drives you around. Just need to consider whether this would work with your young child as it would be difficult to get off half way through.

Alternately some of the others on Caves Rd like Cullens are more casual than the bigger ones. Even at Laurence you might enjoy the beautiful gardens - I think you could even take some food with you and sit on the grass down near the lake.

There are at least twenty vineyards just along Caves Rd between Margaret River and Yallingup. Maybe just call into a few and stop when your toddler has had enough. There are also galleries and potteries and lots of cafes - a maze, icecream speciality shops - lots to do just exploring on your own. Just pick up a map from one of the visitor centres. The one in Margaret River has good free maps with hundreds of things to do.

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,194 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Vineyard Tour with Toddler

Oh, I don't know what I was thinking of with my earlier post. THAT sort of tour? They drive you around a number of wineries and stop at cellar doors for tastings? If you have a small child and no interest in tasting then I really don't see why you would want to sit on a bus with a bored toddler and a bunch of strangers stopping intermittently to watch people taste wine?

Sri Kembangan...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
5. Re: Vineyard Tour with Toddler

Thanks for all the ideas. My main objectives would be to let my toddler to see the grapes on trees (sorry if this sound weird) and to walk around the vineyard and understand the wine making process. Voyager does this kind of tour but they only welcome kids for 7 years old and above.

Thanks again

Edited: 01 March 2014, 09:32
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,024 posts
70 reviews
6. Re: Vineyard Tour with Toddler

By the end of March I'd be surprised if there were any grapes left on the vines.

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,951 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Vineyard Tour with Toddler

The vines in MR will most definitely have no grapes at the end of March....and the leaves will have started to go brown and drop.

Sri Kembangan...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
8. Re: Vineyard Tour with Toddler

Oops , thanks for the feedback , then I think I will just go to voyager to visit the garden And have a nice meal or proceed to Hamelin bay to try luck for ray sight. Thanks again.

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,194 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Vineyard Tour with Toddler

I don't think it sounds weird. Does it have to be a vineyard though? Sounds like it is too late for grapes but what about apple orchards, it would be about the right time for them, I wonder if there are any orchards in the area you are travelling and would you be interested in showing your toddler something like that?

Sri Kembangan...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
10. Re: Vineyard Tour with Toddler

Hi macknee;

As grapes are my boy favorite so I thought it would be lovely for him to see the actual fruits on trees. And yes we have plan to drop by donnybrook apple orchard to take a look of the apple trees while on our way back to Perth. Thanks for the suggestion :-)

Still looking for a return route. We are heading south from Perth via harveyhills - bunburry (2night stay at farm) then stop over busselton while on our way to smith beach (2 nights stay).

Thinking to spend a day along cave road towards augusta cape leeuwin (through wineries, choc factory, hamelin bay).

Now planning our route back from yallingup to Perth via donnybrook. Any insights is much appreciated. Thanks again .

Get answers to your questions about Margaret River