We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6D5N self drive perth and western australia - advise pls!

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
6D5N self drive perth and western australia - advise pls!

I draft a rough itnenary self drive for the first 4 days which I'm travelling with my 60 year old parents. hope i can get advise on my itnenary, and if it's too rush, especially for the margaret river?

any suggestion on car rental recommendations too?

Day 1

Arrival Perth International Airport.

Check-in mountway apartments

Day 2

Collect car, Noon- Drive to Mandurah, 73km

Check in Atrium Resort Hotel,

Madurah Visitor Centre

Dophin Quay - shopping

Madurah Ocean Marina – take photos

Madurah Shopping Centre Forum (supermarket and fast food)

1hr Dolphin & Scenic Canal Cruise AUD$28

Day 3

Depart to Bunbury 107 km.

Reached Bunbury Visitor Centre

10am Free city walking tour. visitbunbury.com.au/free-walk-tours-in-bunbu…

“A Walk Through Time” tour departs the Bunbury Visitor Centre at 10am on Wednesdays and the duration of the tour is approximately one hour. The tour highlights heritage and iconic buildings in the CBD area of Bunbury.

See Koombana Drive/ Ocean Drive

Depart to Busselton 53km.

Busselton Visitor Centre – Jetty

1.8km long and Underwater Artificial Reefs.

Entrance to Jetty $2.50

The Jetty train ride $11.00

The Underwater Observatory. $29.50. takes 1hour 45 mins.

Depart Busselton to Margaret River 49 km.

Choose 2 food trails. Chocolate and Olive Oils

Margaret River Chocolate Company

Olio Bello

Margaret Riveria

Check in Margaret’s River Holiday Suites 125 Bussell Highway S$183

Daily Total distance travelled – 210km

Day 4

Depart to Augusta, 52km

Cape Leeuwin lighthouse (Southern Ocean meets Indian Ocean) AUD$8

Jewel Caves guided tour AUD$22

Visit vineyards at either Leeuwin estate or Voyager estate

Drive to Margaret River for Lunch, 52km

1hr drive (62km) via Caves road to Cape naturalistic light house & Meelup Regional Park

Drive to Bayview Geographe Resort, Busselton (32km)

Daily Total distance travelled – 198km

Day 5

Bayview Geographe Resort back to Perth, 228km, 2.5 hours.

Stop over to be planned.

Check in Mountway Holiday Apartments

return car

Total Distance 230km

Day 6 (Sat)

-Check in Mountway holdiay apartments

- Public transport to Fremantle and the weekend markets

- Free City Tour bus

Day 7 (Sunday)

-Visit King’s Park and Bell Tower

-Public bus from King’s Park to Airport

Mentioned in this post
Augusta
Augusta
Margaret River Region, Australia
Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
14 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6D5N self drive perth and western australia - advise pls!

I think it sounds great, but day 3 is perhaps a little cramped. The walking tour starts at 10 and lasts and hour, then an hour drive to Busselton for a ~3 hours on the jetty, and then 45 mins to Margaret River so you'll be arriving at around 4ish if you don't take any other stops.

The Chocolate Factory and Olio Bello are only open until ~4:30 - 5pm so you will probably end up missing out on one or both of those. If anything I would skip the walking tour or perhaps do your own at an earlier time so you can set off earlier from Bunbury.

For rental cars, Bayswater Car Rentals are highly recommended around here :)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6D5N self drive perth and western australia - advise pls!

thanks sarah for the advise!

yes, i think the shopping at chocolate factory and olio belio, i will put in on day 4 instead and remove Cape naturalistic light house & Meelup Regional Park as it takes some time travelling back and forth.

I read that bayswater only have 4 car rental centres in Australia, unlike other car rentals like Budget/ Hertz/Avis and max excess coverage of $50 which is very different from other car rentals max coverage about $300. Are there hidden terms behind it?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
244 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6D5N self drive perth and western australia - advise pls!

Hi tips-lookout

Let me first compliment you on a well researched and properly planned itinerary! (So different from many queries we get here, where people have not considered the big distances between many towns and attractions in Western Australia.)

So what month/time of year were you planning on coming? Your plans could be affected by school holidays or weather extremes like the 2 day heatwave we had last weekend with 43 and 41 degree days.

Another thing to take into consideration - the Underwater Observatory at Busselton Jetty is very small with a limited number of people allowed to go downstairs at any one time. If you are here during school holidays you may have to wait too long to fit in with your timeframe for the day, but the walk out on the jetty is interesting so long as its not too hot or windy.

Bayswater Hire Cars is a smaller locally based company - I have always found them to be more reasonable than the big national agencies when we have needed a hire car. If you want different excess insurance terms please ask - they should be able to help you.

Mentioned in this post
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6D5N self drive perth and western australia - advise pls!

Hi Kerry

I'm planning to head to Perth around end of March.

Thanks for the advice, will look into it on the car rental and discuss with my parents too!

The Busselton Jetty underwater I can probably book earlier ahead via online.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6D5N self drive perth and western australia - advise pls!

Not sure what time you arrive in Perth, but if it is at a reasonable hour then highly recommend heading up to Kings Park. Great spot for an overview of the city and walking distance from your apartment- not sure how mobile your parents are, but many people of all ages are walking in Kings Park.

Bayswater car hire have several locations in Perth including one in the CBD.

www.bayswatercarrental.com.au/locations/perth

Not sure about the free bus tour in Fremantle- do you mean the free CAT buses.? They are hop on and off with no commentary. They are great for getting around and seeing parts of Freo.

There's also the Tram Tours which offer commentary and get you a bit further afield.

http://www.fremantletrams.com

It's great to have a structured itinerary, but IME it's best to go with the flow and depending on weather and energy levels adjust what you do each day. You want time down South to linger over a coffee and enjoy the beautiful natural environment. I seemed to miss your travel dates as that might certainly affect your itinerary schedule- Edit Kerry also asked. March is a great time but maybe some hot days if early in March.

Oh and when you have a car in Perth I would recommend driving around Mounts Bay Rd to UWA- go for a wander in the lovely grounds and then head around the river (Jutland Pde) to Peppermint Grove- the ritzy areas of Perth and then to Cottesloe Beach to check out a lovely spot.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 09:47
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6D5N self drive perth and western australia - advise pls!

Hi Jean Perth,

I'm arriving in the evening around 7-8pm on day 1. so king's park will leave it on the last day, as our flight will be in the evening.

i'm travelling in late march, so i think it will not be that hot righ?.

For the second last day, yes, we will take the CAT bus in fremantle or the tram. I will take a train from perth to fremantle from the city west train station. if time permits, we will travel around perth and take the CAT bus, or take a train to cottesloe beach.

Fremantle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,076 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6D5N self drive perth and western australia - advise pls!

Sounds all great! You should be right weather wise. With your careful planning you should look forward to a lovely holiday with your parents.

rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
23,851 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 6D5N self drive perth and western australia - advise pls!

Late March can still throw out some stinkers of days, so be prepared for the odd 40C+ day just in case.

Edited: 15 January 2014, 11:42
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
6,874 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 6D5N self drive perth and western australia - advise pls!

" -Public bus from King’s Park to Airport"

Since everyone else has commented on your itinerary, I'll just ask - You do know that the Transperth public bus only goes to T4 or what is locally referred to as the "Domestic" Airport? (I may need to lose that habit I think) Re the bus, there is no where for luggage and you will need to catch the (free) transfer bus toT1 (the "International" Airport) upon arriving at T4...

The free terminal transfer bus service operates between T1 and T2 and T3/T4 every 20 minutes.

Allow yourselves plenty of time...

Have a great trip.

Terminal 1 (T1) – All international services

Terminal 2 (T2) – Alliance Airlines, Tigerair (domestic services) and Virgin Australia (most regional services)

Terminal 3 (T3) – Virgin Australia (domestic services) & Qantas (some regional services).

Terminal 4 (T4) – Qantas and Jetstar (domestic services)

Edited: 15 January 2014, 22:48
Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 6D5N self drive perth and western australia - advise pls!

Hope you dont mind I have taken your fantastic itinery and twicked it for my visit in Nove 14. Thank you. Does anyone know if its better to hire from airport or Perth City?

Regards

PS Have a good trip