We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Margaret River or Dunsborough

Sydney
Level Contributor
64 posts
52 reviews
Margaret River or Dunsborough

Hi

We are planning a short trip to the Margaret River region in a few weeks. We plan to drive straight to Fremantle after landing and stay 1 night there (we have been to Freo before).

After that we we thinking of basing ourselves around Margaret River for 4 nights before staying overnight in Perth and flying home.

We are after some thoughts as to where we should stay around MR. Is Margaret River itself the go or is somewhere like Dunsborough a better option. We like to be able to walk to restaurants (perferably casual or pubs but stay in some nights too). We thought we would do day trips from our base.

Any suggestions on self contained apartments in the area would also be appreciated

Thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Margaret River or Dunsborough

I have always liked staying right in the actual town site for the reason you have said - being able to stroll to and from restaurants.

Then just doing little drives in every direction out of town to the coast, the caves, the wineries, the artisan shops and galleries etc.

Accom - so much to choose from - everything from basic motels to Quest apartments to old and new hotels to self contained cottages.

Sydney
Level Contributor
64 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Margaret River or Dunsborough

thanks for your thoughts.....we thought a nice self contained apartment/cottage with a fireplace would be really lovely. If you do any any ideas please let me know

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Margaret River
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Margaret River or Dunsborough

Lots of options in the region for cottages/chalets. Checkout:

http://www.margaretriver.com/accommodation

for pretty much all accommodation listings.

Ive stayed here:

https:/…index.php

a number of times now and have never been disappointed. Good size chalets all with fireplaces and spas. Each chalet is secluded in natural bush on the winery property and kangaroos are a common sight at dusk. Cafe at the winery comes in handy. A short drive to MR township or Dunsborough and fairly central to the region makes daytrips easy. Nice wines and liqueurs too! :)

A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Margaret River or Dunsborough

If staying in a town I'd recommend Margaret River in preference to Dunsborough... although Dunsborough has some lovely apartments and houses on the beachfront if that appeals. Can get quite pricey though.

If MR township is your preference, a self contained apartment we stayed at once which we really loved was:

margaretriver.com/accommodation/…41341

Very quiet location yet only a 1 min stroll to the main street. Privately owned but you have the use of all the amenities of the resort which it is part of (but still quite private from) such as swimming pool and tennis court.

Sydney
Level Contributor
64 posts
52 reviews
5. Re: Margaret River or Dunsborough

thanks AJ

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
2,066 reviews
6. Re: Margaret River or Dunsborough

Another vote for staying at Margaret River - excellent location for visiting the major attractions.

or I also like Yallingup - stay at the Seashell Apartments.

seashells.com.au/resorts/yallingup/overview/

Sydney
Level Contributor
64 posts
52 reviews
7. Re: Margaret River or Dunsborough

Hi, I have been searching all night to try and find self contained accomodation wih a fire place (doesn't matter if it is gas and not wood) and in the centre of Margaret River and no luck :-(

Any suggestions??? (After 3.5-4 star).

ta

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,540 posts
296 reviews
8. Re: Margaret River or Dunsborough

What are your dates? I've just booked accommodation near MR and found a lot of places full over the upcoming long weekend May 31 - June 3.

Edited: 18 May 2013, 12:05
A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Margaret River or Dunsborough

Im not surprised you havent found a self contained apartment in the town centre with a fireplace. Any Ive stayed at has reverse cycle air cond. Fireplaces are more common in a chalet type accom out of the townships. The only other option I can think of is a vacation rental (house) in or close to town. I dont know of any offhand however. Perhaps have a browse through the listings on TA or Stayz.com.au

Edited: 18 May 2013, 13:38
A J
Subiaco, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Margaret River or Dunsborough

I came across an apartment in the centre of town with a fireplace (the only one I reckon):

http://www.constellationapts.com/index.htm

...a remote controlled fireplace no less!

There's still a compromise tho...5 star and $500/night.

Get answers to your questions about Margaret River