We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Margaret River in June

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
98 posts
11 reviews
Trip to Margaret River in June

Hello, hoping for some advice on our trip to Margaret River in June. We are thinking to spend 2 nights in Margaret River and 4 nights in the Fremantle.

We are going to hire a car and head to the Margaret River region directly after landed at the Perth Airport @ 6am. We’ve GPS to navigate our journey. I know there are charges to use the Bussell Hwy/State Route 10 and not sure whether the company car will be providing us with the electronic card or not. If none, where can I get this electronic card?

We are thinking cottage or apartment type so that our meals are taken care off. I’ve these 2 options and would like to hear some suggestions from the TA Experts:-

Beachside Prevelly Villas

– Forte Leeuwin Apartment

Below are the places that we want to visit while we’re in MR:-

1st day – arrive MR, check-in

2nd day – Lake Cave, Mammoth Cave, Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse

3rd day – Check-out to Fremantle, to visit - Margaret River Chocolate Factory, Cape Lavender

Any suggestion/view is really appreciated.

Regards, Sue

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
296 reviews
1. Re: Trip to Margaret River in June

There is no toll to use the Bussell Highway (either that or I live under a rock, which is a distinct possibility).

I'd add a night or two in MR, less in Freo. So much to see and do, and the three hour drive to/from will cut into your time there.

Edited: 31 January 2012, 08:22
rural West Aussie
Destination Expert
for Perth
Level Contributor
25,181 posts
70 reviews
2. Re: Trip to Margaret River in June

"I know there are charges to use the Bussell Hwy/State Route 10"- where did you get this information from? Like mel, unless I've been sharing her rock :-), as far as I am aware there are no tolls roads anywhere in WA.

Again I'd agree with Mel, take at least a day from Freo and add to MR. So much to see and do in MR, though in June be aware it will be chilly and possibly a little wet so bring suitable clothing, layers would work best. I doubt you will want to swim in the sea in June.

You could also visit the Berry Farm, the Eagles Sanctuary, lots of artists studios and galleries, the Candy Cow in Cowaramup (whose fudge I believe is superior to the MR Fudge Factory), one of the cheese factories in the area, olive growers and heaps more. For MR info have a look at

www.margaretriver.com

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Perth, Antarctic Adventures
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Trip to Margaret River in June

There are definitely no toll roads in WA and never have been in the 5 decades I have been in this state ! No idea where you would have got any impression that there were charges.

I would second both opinions here to minus 1 (or better 2) days from Fremantle and add them to MR. Freo can be done in a day. MR is an entire region full of amazing things to do and see.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
98 posts
11 reviews
4. Re: Trip to Margaret River in June

Hi experts, thanks for the useful advices. As per toll roads in WA, my mistake. Thousand apologies. Will that note that are no toll roads in WA.

Cheese factory, Berry Farm sounds interesting for us. i also add-in Bussellton Jetty into our 'must see' lists. Yup, agreed! I need another 1 day in MR. :-). Btw, any good shopping spot in MR to buy souvenir, kids clothes?

As per the apartment, any views/feedback?

Regards, Sue

Colorado
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
296 reviews
5. Re: Trip to Margaret River in June

Sorry Sue, I'm not familiar with either accommodation. There are shops in MR town, as well as shops in Busselton & Dunsborough, but nothing near the scale you're used to in KL. You should be able to scrounge up a souvenir or two though. Shops in Freo too, but WA isn't really known for it's shopping.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
30 reviews
6. Re: Trip to Margaret River in June

The shopping of the MR region is more about local hand crafted goods like woodwork, glass ware, jewellery, pottery etc. pretty sure there is a target in the main st so that's your likely place for kids clothing. But really - its all made in Asia and far cheaper in asia !

Consider a real souvineer like a gorgeous set of hand made coffee cups or something. Each time you use them you will be reminded of where you visited.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
98 posts
11 reviews
7. Re: Trip to Margaret River in June

yeah, its sound interesting. any idea, where can i get the hand made coffee cups in Margaret River?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,044 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Trip to Margaret River in June

Ummm everywhere !

The whole point is to do the exploring yourself !

As you drive around the region you will see little signs on the road pointing to people's homes with studios attached. Turn the car that way and explore what they have to offer.

Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
98 posts
11 reviews
9. Re: Trip to Margaret River in June

Will do that. Thanks perfectlyperth :-)

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
10. Re: Trip to Margaret River in June

HI Suee - How's your MR trip in June last year? did you get alot of rain while you were there? I am planning my MR this June. I am worried of the rain.

Get answers to your questions about Margaret River