We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Launceston to Bays of Fire

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
Launceston to Bays of Fire

Hi All

I am visiting Tasmania in early Nov and we are heading to Cradle Mountain for 2.5 days before driving back to Launceston. I would like to also visit the Bays of Fire - but cannot find the driving time and best route from Cradle Mountain to Bays of Fire. It appears that I will have to drive back via Launceston, but I am not sure how far from Launceston to Bays of Fire. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks

Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,463 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Launceston to Bays of Fire

It's Bay of Fires I think, but even that doesn't come up on Google Maps. Try Binalong Bay. Google Maps gives a time of four hours if taking a route just to the south of Launceston (I don't know anything about that one) and four hours ten minutes via Scottsdale (I remember it was very pretty setting out from St Helens but very winding and eventually "are we there yet").

Tasmania
Level Contributor
479 posts
19 reviews
2. Re: Launceston to Bays of Fire

Hi

Bay of Fires is lovely. It's just north of St Helens.

If you're leaving from Launceston plan for 2.5 hours viaScottsdale without any stops.

If you're leaving from Cradle Mountain and want to avoid Launceston, you can go via Perth (just south of Launceston), head down the midlands highway and turn at the Conara junction. This route will take you via St Marys to St Helens and take around 4 hours, again without any stops.

I'm not clear on how long you will have to spend there. Is it only a day trip? If you only have a short time in these parts, maybe it's a bit too much travelling and not enough time to soak up the scenery?

Enjoy your holiday.

Lani

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,144 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Launceston to Bays of Fire

And just to add highway names to MacKnee and Lani's goos information: it's the A3 Tasman Highway through Launceston and Scottsdale, or else the A1 and A4 Esk Highway via Conara and Fingal.

Both are about the same time. Via Scottsdale is probably a little more scenic, but also a more winding road. Via Conara/Fingal is a much straighter road, thru farmland and eucalypt forest.

Luigi

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Launceston to Bays of Fire

Hi there

I'd recommend going via the Tasman Highway (Scottsdale, A3) to the Bay of Fires, its much more scenic, and there are a lot of things to see and do along the way.

Have a great trip!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Launceston to Bays of Fire

Hi Guys

Thank you all very much for your prompt response. In response to Lani's question.

Yes - it is only for a day trip - we have a flight departing the next day at 3pm - so was only planning on arriving at the Bay of Fires and then staying there overnight before driving back to Launceston to do the brewery tour at Boag's on the Monday and then boarding our flight that afternoon. I know we are trying to squeeze a fair bit in but we are not sure when we will return to Tasmania. I guess the other alternative would be to spend time in Launceston instead - but we are not wine drinkers and weren't sure what else to do around Launceston besides the Gorge and the Boag's tour. Are there scenic walks at Georgetown that we could do as an alternative instead of driving to the Bay of Fires? or even something closer that could fill a sunday and monday until 3pm?

Tasmania
Level Contributor
968 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Launceston to Bays of Fire

Hi there

even if you are not into wine, there is plenty to do in the Launceston area to fill a day! There are some very grand historic houses in the area, such as Entally and Brickendon, which are worth a trip if you like that sort of thing. There is also the National Rose Garden.

If you like wildlife, then there is the Tasmania Zoo, about a 15 minute drive north of Launceston. Also Platypus House and Seahorse World a few more minutes north from there.

There are also several galleries and museums (from woodwork to historic cars) in Launceston.

Perhaps take a Launceston historic walk? Also loads of lovely cafes and restaurants to check out. Just a few ideas!

The drive to Bay of Fires is lovely, but it is a lot of driving. Tough decisions!

Cheers,

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
31,144 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: Launceston to Bays of Fire

Yes, seems like a long drive for a quick look.

I'm with RedPanda: either do a tour around the Tamar Valley to Beaconsfield/Beauty Point/ Georgetown, or head out to Perth and Longford to visit Woolmers, Brickendon, Clarendon and the antiquey shops out that way. And maybe a bit further down the Heritage Highway.

Unfortunately, you could be caught out by it being Sunday in Launceston, but it's a long drive to the Bay of Fires.

Luigi

Tasmania
Level Contributor
479 posts
19 reviews
8. Re: Launceston to Bays of Fire

RedPanda and Luigi are right - it's a long drive to Bay of Fires for such a short amount of time. It really is lovely and part of its charm is that it is not only visually spectacular but chances are you won't have to share your view with anyone else apart from seabirds (though I acknowledge that is now changing now that the rest of the world has heard about it). The trouble is, you will spend so much time driving there that you won't have time to properly soak up its charms. There are plenty of things to do in northern Tasmania using Launceston as a base, as Luigi and RedPanda have suggested.

Apart from Boags, the Gorge and the suggestions from others, you can also do a penguin tour at Low Head in the evening to round out your experience and squeeze in as much as possible while you're here without spending all your time driving from A to B.

Whatever you decide, you will have a great time. Enjoy.

Lani

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
4 reviews
9. Re: Launceston to Bays of Fire

Thank you for the suggestions. I will think about it somewhere and talk it over with H as he will be doing most of the driving and then we will book our final night accommodation in Tassie. I am looking forward to our trip. Thanks all.

10. Re: Launceston to Bays of Fire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 April 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Launceston