We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold Coast vs Sunshine Coast?

Auckland
4 posts
Gold Coast vs Sunshine Coast?

Hi all,

My boyfriend and I are thinking of having a holiday in the Gold Cost in early September (around the 10th) for 4 nights, and then heading to the Sunshine Coast for 2 nights before coming home. I have a couple of questions:

1. How long does it take to drive from Gold Coast to Sunshine Coast? Could we get a bus or train and how much would that cost?

2. We are really keen on heading to the theme parks. Is the weather warm enough in early September to do the water ones?

3. What are the beaches like in Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast? White sand? Will it be warm enough to swim?

4. Is it worth visiting both places, or should we just spend 6 nights at the Gold Coast? Will we find enough to do with 6 nights at the same place?

5. We really like nice beaches and unspoilt out of the way areas. Can you reccomend anywhere else we should visit? Are there places further North we should try?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks for the help :)

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
163 reviews
1. Re: Gold Coast vs Sunshine Coast?

Hi

1 depending on which part of the gold coast and sunshine coast, it will take you approx 2 - 3 hrs driving depending on traffc and the time of day. You can get a train or a bus via Brisbane.

2 sure, it will be like a summers day in Auckland, so no problem. I know Wet and wild is heated during winter.

3 Beautiful white beaches, locals will find it a bit chilly but kiwis seem to think it is ok.

4 now depending on how much driving you want to do or how much time just plain relaxing. I can recommend lots of beautiful unspoit beaches but you will need more time. Fraser Island is beautiful and well worth a visit. You can do a day trip from Noosa ( Sunshine Coast)

See the theme parks are going to take up some days and i am sure you want to veg out on the beach as well. hmmmm hard decision. i say stick to your 6 days on the GC this time, hire a car one day and take a trip to Byron bay . Come back next holiday and go to Sunshine Coast... different vibe in both places.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any furthe info.

cheers

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Gold Coast vs Sunshine Coast?

I agree 100% with surfoz's answers and they are as accurate as ever.

When on the Gold Coast, if you are looking for deserted beaches, head down to the northern NSW towns of Kingscliff,Cabarita and Byron.

However, beaches such as Burleigh, Rainbow and Nobby's are perfect on the Gold Coast. Just a few more people.

Enjoy.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i9884-Gold_Coas…

Auckland
4 posts
3. Re: Gold Coast vs Sunshine Coast?

Thanks for the info. I think we will definitely consider just staying put in Gold Coast seeing we only have 6 nights. Not too keen on spending too much time travelling around.

Can you recommend somewhere to stay? Would love somewhere right on the beach, but don't want to pay top $$. Then again we definitely don't want budget either... Any suggestions?

SEQ, Australia
Level Contributor
2,175 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Gold Coast vs Sunshine Coast?

What sort of AUD $ are you looking at?

Auckland
4 posts
5. Re: Gold Coast vs Sunshine Coast?

I'm not really sure as I don't know what to expect... I guess under $200 per night. Closer to $150 if we could get something decent for that...

Malaysia
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Gold Coast vs Sunshine Coast?

Hi Surfoz ! I was checking on sunshine coast in the forum and found Albiemma's posting which is pretty much what i wud like to ask.

But I am travelling with kids and it is a family vacation. Our flight will arrive at Brisbane and we will stay for at least 6 nights before flying back.

This is what we wud like to do :

4 nights Gold coast - Dreamworld

Whitewater world

Seaworld

Shopping * Sanctuary Cove

2 nights either GC- Daytours to Winery (Gold Coast hinterland)

Daytour to Australia Zoo

or Sunshine Coast - Noosa Hasting Street

Farm stay

winery

Australia Zoo

I really would like my kids to experience a farm visit / farm stay and a winery visit. I saw the Sunshine Coast has more variety on these visits and the Noosa Hasting Street sounds good too for us adults.

The question is whether it worth the drive ? How should we travel from Gold Coast to Sunshine Coast ? Should we rent a car for a few days and return it at Brisbane airport or should we arrange for transport per trip?

We will not come to Gold Coast again in the near future so i really need to make a decision whether to include Sunshine Coast in our itenary.

Great if u cud help. Thx.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Noosa
Level Contributor
5,947 posts
163 reviews
7. Re: Gold Coast vs Sunshine Coast?

Hi SA-ROMANTIKA

If you include the Sunshine Coast then you will want to see Australia Zoo and Underwater World at mooloolaba, this is also a great family beach. I would definitely hire a car and drive to SC but the problem is that I think only two days is going to be much too rushed.

Let me know if you need any further advice and i will see what i can think of.

cheers

Malaysia
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Gold Coast vs Sunshine Coast?

Thanks Surfoz. I could arrange to stay for more nights at Sunshine Coast if it is necessary. But the kids have been to lots of underwater worlds in Japan, Singapore and Hong Kong. For this trip, the things they must do are : themepark (which is never enough for them), see kangoroos & other animals and plucking fruits from trees if possible.

For us, we wud like see the best winery in the area and just relax & shop at the best place in Sunshine Coast. We r also interested in arts & crafts.

So can I squeeze in : Farmstay or Farm visit, Australia zoo, Noosa Hasting Streets, winery & other attractions in 3 full days? What do u think of Avalon Noosa Farm Cottages vs the Animal Farm? Any idea of what could be the best itenary ?

Last question, would it be better if we take the hotel coach from Goldcoast to Brisbane airport and rent a car from there?

: ) 2 many to answer?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,277 posts
2,066 reviews
9. Re: Gold Coast vs Sunshine Coast?

I love the Gold Coast,

beautiful beaches with real waves...surf waves.....

i suggest you discover the two, so you then understand the beauty of the two.

3 days Gold Coast, 3 days sunshine.

Malaysia
Level Contributor
98 posts
5 reviews
10. Re: Gold Coast vs Sunshine Coast?

Thanks Ellemay. Decide to stay 4 nights at Gold Coast and 3 nights at Sunshine Coast. Just not sure of my itenaries for the latter and where to stay. Gold Coast is pretty much easier to plan.