We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Australian 4WD Hire

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
375 posts
155 reviews
Save Topic
Australian 4WD Hire

Hi everyone,

Just read this article on Australian 4WD Hire this morning. Any thoughts?

abc.net.au/news/…

Cheers

16 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,442 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Australian 4WD Hire

Looks like a good outfit to avoid.

Tuggeranong...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,572 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Australian 4WD Hire

>>Denigrating the company, including leaving "negative reviews" online, is forbidden under the terms and conditions hirers must sign before receiving the keys.<<

How common is such a clause? It would make me wary.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,127 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Australian 4WD Hire

Look at the healthengine fiasco. Hopefully, people will be aware of this mob from now on.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Australian 4WD Hire

Yes. Good to see that the company is being exposed for it’s behavior. They have been suppressing negative reviews with aggressive legal tactics for quite a while it seems. Plus, there is evidence of fake positive reviews. Good to see the ACCC is investigating.

melbourne
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Australian 4WD Hire

Don't worry, the Terms & Conditions of the hire contract have been drafted by top corporate lawyers in a way that is fair to both parties

https:/…92946526

Tuggeranong...
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
17,572 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Australian 4WD Hire

Thanks for the link, they tested out the capacity of the reply box didn't they. Love your suggestion at #154 :-)

Stuttgart, Germany
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Australian 4WD Hire

First trip down under, we were doing extensive research before choosing a rental company; which was a challenge because it was hard to find a rental company without any negative reviews (I guess you can’t please everyone) but complimentary camping gear and unlimited kilometres was hard to bid and with my ambitious travel plans, this was necessity. The Brisbane agency was very professional and helpful, we received nearly new vehicle which helped us to visit all our desired destinations without any difficulties or problems making our holidays pleasant and memorable.

Mentioned in this post
Brisbane
Brisbane
Brisbane Region, Australia
Cairns, Australia
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Australian 4WD Hire

They are scumbags of the highest order. There's a reason there's only short-lived negative reviews online - because they threaten to sue everyone.

Stay AWAY from this company. They have been scumbags for years. They have been looking for excuses to keep bonds since at least 2016 from an old news article I found. In particular they target foreigners they know can't fight legal proceedings easily. They target Australians for less, but the amount is based on proximity to Qld.

I am a victim of this company and this post is staying up (threaten to sue me all you want, Australian 4WD). For anyone reading this, look at the recent press coverage of this company and decide for your self. In my opinion you would have to be insane to give a $5000 bond to this company given their history.

Edited: 10 July 2018, 10:03
South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Australian 4WD Hire

Tell us more about your ambitious travel plans, vikj175, or we might suspect that having signed up for the forums today and having one post deleted already then making a beeline for this thread, this might be spam of some kind. I believe a similar moniker was used to post very positive things about this company on the super long thread, all of those posts have been deleted now.

melbourne
Level Contributor
2,948 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Australian 4WD Hire

Customers are not allowed to make negative reviews - it's in the Terms & Conditions of the contract, which was drafted by top corporate lawyers

Reply to: Australian 4WD Hire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted