We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mum & Dad-in-law visiting - need tourist advice please...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Mum & Dad-in-law visiting - need tourist advice please...

Hi all, way overdue for a revisit down to the South Coast, and will have wife's parents in tow (very old school conservative). Plan is to leave around 9am and head down from Hornsby via Waterfall/Stanwell Tops to Wollongong to stop at the Buddhist temple sometime in the early PM. After a good look, head to some clean, pretty and hopefully picturesque (beachfront?) accommodation for the night (Shellharbour/Minnamurra??). Hopefully with a kitchen I can cook in, or local seafood restaurant etc .

Next day, off to Thirlmere for the train attraction and lunchtime picnic (for dad-in-law), via Picton Road I assume? Or Appin then Wilton Rd?

Then freeway mission home...

Any suggestions for accommodation and route stop options (cafe's, sights etc) VERY welcome and much appreciated.

Cheers

Tim & Michelle

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,509 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mum & Dad-in-law visiting - need tourist advice please...

Kiama is probably best bet for accom or gerroa...nothing really special springs to mind until paperbark camp at husky

Nan Tien you will be way too early unless you spend time at lighthouse etc in the gong I can also rec the Ha Long Bay Viet as great restaurant in the gong itelsf

Try the cafe in Stanwell for lunch, Scarborugh pub is a no go

heading homeif doing a burger then you cant beat the shop in appin on the corner

or for Ok try george IV in Picton, mate even up to oak dale for the view over the dam if you boy goods.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
612 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mum & Dad-in-law visiting - need tourist advice please...

Definately Kiama might be the best place for an overnight stay. There are several motels I am sure that some will meet you needs. All are within walking distance of Kiama cafes/restaurants/club.

It is best to take Picton Rd across to Thirlmere. The Appin route means you need to navigate the narrow winding road through Cataract gorge. It is similar to Galston gorge. There are few facilities in Thirlmere so I suggest that you have everything you need before you leave Picton or Tahmoor. The picnic areas are excellent. Sadly, you are likely to be dissappointed with the thinness of railway items on display.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mum & Dad-in-law visiting - need tourist advice please...

Wow, so quick!! Thanks for the info! Might push my luck...

I'm so rusty on travel times.. Assuming avg speeds,. how long if not stopping from...

Heathcote/ Waterfall to Wollongong (going via Stanwell Park/Austinmer)?

Wollongong to Kiama?

And if we stay in Kiama, looks like a good option is driving back via Jamberoo/Albion Park/Yallah on to Picton Rd to Thirlmere? Road conditions?

Is Mt Keira Ring Track/Mt Keira Road of interest before joining Picton Rd, or more a slightly boring driving stomach turner? Car is not the best in terms of suspension! Or best to stick to Mt Lousley Rd until Picton Rd?

So any thoughts on Accom in or in the area around Kiama?? I'm thinking a tidy 2 double/queen bedroom cottage near the sea, with a kitchen. Anything more than that is a bonus, we're 3+/4 star types, not 5 star.

You all rock!

Cheers

Tim & Michelle

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,749 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mum & Dad-in-law visiting - need tourist advice please...

I love the Mt Kiera Road. You are in a rainforest type environment, and toward the top there is a great lookout over the whole of the Wollongong region from near the top of the escarpment. That road is one to be given respect to as it is narrow,hilly, twisty, and popular with masochistic bike riders. But I would rather drive that than Ousley any day. Take it easy - no worries. A great drive.

Picton Road is a very good road. No problem there.

Edited: 20 April 2012, 14:19
Sydney
Level Contributor
1,201 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mum & Dad-in-law visiting - need tourist advice please...

Sebel Harbourside Kiama has 2 bedroom apartments:

mirvachotels.com/sebel-harbourside-kiama/two…

Good location, restaurants and bars around.

Sydney
Level Contributor
23 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mum & Dad-in-law visiting - need tourist advice please...

Ok so firstly I agree Kiama is the place to stay. Lots of great places to eat. Seen as you are heading towards Kiama a visit to Minnamurra

rainforest would be easy to fit in as you will not be hours at the temple. The temple has Asian vegetarian buffet for lunch but if the in laws are old school it may not suit.

Jamberoo is quite cute and also food at the pub there is good as is the food at the club, the pub has better atmosphere.

Travelling times heathcote to Wollongong is 40 mins via Mt Ousley if you want to come via stanwell park you will have to turn off and come through the national park which will take you on the sea cliff bridge. It's sign posted as grand pacific drive and will take you a lot longer maybe 40 mins to stanwell park Nice cafes at austinmer but you will not find a parking spot on weekends!

The temple is a little south of Wollongong and from temple to Kiama is about 30 mins straight down the freeway. To divert to jamberoo turn off at Albion park.

On the way back you could have a look at mt Kiera lookout its quite lovely or if you head up mt Ousley bulli lookout is also nice.

Hope this helps

7. Re: Mum & Dad-in-law visiting - need tourist advice please...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2014, 08:16
Get answers to your questions about Wollongong
More Wollongong Topics