We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Using Woollongong as a base for visiting attractions

Marske-by-the-Sea...
3 posts
Save Topic
Using Woollongong as a base for visiting attractions

Hi

We are visiting family in Woollongong in April and was wondering the best way to see the attractions.

I've already booked to stay in Sydney for 3 nights but can't decide whether to do a day tour to the blue mountains which includes a visit to Featherdale Wildlife Park or should we spend the 3/4 days in Sydney itself and do a trip up from Woollongong on another day and do our own visit to the mountains and the park. This would probably need an overnight stay I guess but any advise would be appreciated - we want to make the most of our trip down under.

Thanks

Lisa

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Family Travel
Level Contributor
9,158 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Using Woollongong as a base for visiting attractions

Hi Lisa

It probably depends a little on how many days you have apart from the 3/4 in Sydney. 3 days would be enough for Sydney, so perhaps you could then drive to the BM's via Featherdale, stay a night or 2, then on to Wollongong.

Mia

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, New South Wales, Cruises
Level Contributor
11,543 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Using Woollongong as a base for visiting attractions

That's what I was thinking Mia - it would cut down on travel.

To get from from Wollongong to say Katoomba, I think you'd be looking at a min of 2 1/2 hrs by car so you'd barely have time to see the sites around Katoomba let alone Featherdale ... it would be a looooong day!

Apart from that, Wollongong would give you a good base for a couple of day trips down the south coast and maybe to the Southern Highlands if you wanted to head either or both areas.

Marske-by-the-Sea...
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Using Woollongong as a base for visiting attractions

Thanks Mia

We are actually in Woollongong for a month - heading to Sydney in second week so would have the time to split the visits if best. Even with a month I still don't think we'll see everything lol!

Lisa

Marske-by-the-Sea...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Using Woollongong as a base for visiting attractions

Thanks Mia

We are actually in Woollongong for a month - heading to Sydney in second week so would have the time to split the visits if best. Even with a month I still don't think we'll see everything lol!

Lisa

5. Re: Using Woollongong as a base for visiting attractions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 April 2015, 03:15
Get answers to your questions about Wollongong
More Wollongong Topics