We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Long Weekend in the Illawarra and the 'Gong

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
793 posts
789 reviews
Trip Report - Long Weekend in the Illawarra and the 'Gong

We decided to have a couple of days break in the Illawarra. We booked a serviced apartment close to the CBD in Wollongong (separate review being posted) and, rather than take our usual routes into Wollongong from Canberra, we decided to come in from the Sydney end.

Friday

We left Canberra mid-morning on a Friday and after our (almost traditional) break at the bakery café in Goulburn (near Maccas& the Big Marino) for a yummy Danish and good coffee we headed toward Sydney. Taking up Frommy’s suggestion we drove in via Stanwell Tops and had the most glorious view down the coast from the Bald Hill Lookout. On a day that we had been expecting rain (and got it in the first half hour out of Canberra) we had 30% high cloud cover and sunshine with a squillion kilometers visibility – could almost see New Zealand!! The Sea Cliff Bridge on the Grand Pacific Drive was very prominent on the coastline, as was the big smokestack way down the coast at Port Kembla. We had a short chat to the guy who sells tandem hang-glider rides – business was a bit slow for him I think – then drove down into Stanwell Park where we stopped at a fairly busy café just off the road for a very nice lunch.

From there we drove down to The Sea Cliff Bridge where we pulled over for a look. We last drove this road over 10 years ago so this was new to us, and quite impressive it is too. Quite a few tourists walking the length of it, but we just walked a couple of hundred metres to where we could get some good photos.

We drove down through the coastal towns sandwiched between the cliff and the sea, marvelling at how people built in some pretty amazing places. The cemetery overlooking the sea at (I think) Clifton had a spectacular outlook, but places to pull over and park are at a premium so we couldn’t really stop to explore more. Around Austinmer there is a bit more space and there are more places to pull over. We drove down to Towradgi – we have a particular soft spot for Towradgi having had family holidays there several times when our kids were younger – and not much has changed there in the past dozen years or so. The bowls club has had a facelift - other than that, pretty much unchanged.

Check-in at our serviced apartment in Wollongong was 2pm, so we got in there around 2.30 and after unpacking the car, we drove down to Port Kembla and Warrawong “just because”. We spent an hour or so in the Warrawong shopping mall, had a coffee (pretty ordinary), picked up some groceries at a supermarket, and headed back to the apartment. In the late afternoon we walked into Crown St Mall to see what had changed since we last stayed there, then back to the apartment and freshened up before walking along Corrimal Street to see what restaurant took our fancy. We hadn’t made any bookings but, with just the 2 of us and it still being fairly early we fancied our chances. In the end we decided to eat at the local Hogs Breath Café on Crown St. After dinner we walked through the Crown St Mall and back the long way to the apartment along Flinders St – quite a few people out and about on a Friday evening but still way too early for any obnoxious types.

Saturday

We were away fairly early for a day of sightseeing and tourist shopping down the coast. First stop Kiama – and I paid more attention to the “surprise reveal” that Frommy mentioned as you come back to the coast near Bombo this time. There was a very long freight train passing through Bombo at the time we went past – that part of the coast is definitely one I’m doing by train at some stage!

The highway has been improved pretty much all the way to Kiama now – the only annoying spot left is the stretch near Albion Park – otherwise it is fast and safe. . .and to be honest, not nearly as interesting as it used to be, but that is the price of progress I guess. There is still plenty of spectacular scenery, just a lot less of it now as the urban sprawl strides relentlessly south.

At Kiama we had a good long look around the touristy shops, then walked around the harbour precinct and the old town – absolutely loved the old post office, council chamber, newspaper office etc, and the Westpac bank has to be one of the best preserved around. This is a lovely old town with a lot going for it – unfortunately the “blow hole” wasn’t one of them on the day we were there – the ocean was flat as a tack so we didn’t bother to go for a look at it this time. We drove down to Gerringong (I just can’t see enough of that coastline between Kiama and Gerringong to satisfy me – I’m definitely going to have to do the coastal walk some time!) and stopped for a look through the Gerry shops. Then on down the coast (as an aside, the Gerringong golf course looks spectacular - almost enough to convince me to take up golf!) through Gerroa, and along Seven Mile Beach before cutting inland to Berry for another shopping stop. This is a good detour, a lot less traffic than the highway and less winding with the bonus of spectacular coastal scenery and National Park vegetation for a good deal of it.

After hitting the Berry shops, we had a very nice lunch in a café there before heading north - along the highway this time. Instead of going back into Wollongong we continued up the Mt Ousley Rd and detoured to the Sublime Point Lookout. I was surprised to find that there is no café there these days – looks like it only opens for functions. But the views are spectacular. I wasn’t tempted by the walks down to the bottom though. We stopped at Panorama House on our way back to the ‘Gong , but the place had a major Christmas function on so we couldn’t see the view from the dining room and we ended up having a (pretty ordinary) coffee in the bar (with a scenic view of the carpark – sigh!!)

After a bit of down-time and freshing up we headed out for dinner just after 6pm. We had an excellent meal at Thai Carnation (cnr Corrimal & Crown Sts) and afterward went for a walk along the Marine Parade , along part of the surf beach, then around Flagstaff Hill and the harbor. I laughed at a pelican sitting on a very sagging street light just near the fishing fleet in the harbor – way too big for that light but obviously a favourite spot. This is an extremely pretty area, with a mix of the old and new – lots of people out and about in the early evening. I particularly like the old “harbor defences” with muzzle loaded cannons which were installed at a time when they were already obsolete. The fish and chip café on the harbor is very popular with “surfies” and families with young kids (still lots of seagulls looking for handouts- as there were over a decade ago) and the fish restaurants at the harbor are popular with a dressier clientele.

Sunday

After checking out around 9 we “dooped” or way back to Canberra via Macquarie Pass. Sunday markets were on in Robertson, so we stopped and had a good look (bough nice fudge & other goodies) then detoured into Bowral for a coffee (which we knew would be good) before cutting over to Berrima where their markets were also on (helps to know the cycle). Didn’t buy much there but took the opportunity to explore some shops that were closed the last time we were there and had a nice lunch before heading back to Canberra.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
20,902 posts
112 reviews
1. Re: Trip Report - Long Weekend in the Illawarra and the 'Gong

Great TR ACTReg, and thanks for the acknowledgements. The major road blocks that used to occur on the Kiama road have been mainly cured, to the detriment of some of the scenery, except when you get the reveal from Bombo IMO. Thanks for posting your report.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Trip Report - Long Weekend in the Illawarra and the 'Gong

Thanks ACT - great read. You've given me an idea for incorporating that train trip with some noodling around down the South Coast. Take the train to, say, Nowra. Rent a car for a day or two, return it to Nowra & hop back on the train for the trip back to Sydney

My cousin & I did a loop a few months ago, primarily so we could drive the Sea Cliff Bridge, and had a lovely couple of days.

Our loop was Sydney-Greenwell Point - Berry (o'night at the Berry Boutique Motel & dinner across the street at the Hungry Duck ) - Kangaroo Valley - Robertson - Moss Vale - Bowral - Sydney.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
793 posts
789 reviews
3. Re: Trip Report - Long Weekend in the Illawarra and the 'Gong

Frommy - no worries - you gave me some new ideas.

Bokhara - yep that sounds like an interesting loop - trouble is, there are so many alternative interesting routes in the area. Nowra sounds like the right train destination for car hire, although you could do worse that just stopping at Kiama for a day or two without the car.

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,194 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Trip Report - Long Weekend in the Illawarra and the 'Gong

Thanks for a great trip report. Hubby and I drove home from Sydney once via the coast a long time ago (the blow hole wasn't doing much that day either). It really is an area we should explore more.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
8,137 posts
98 reviews
5. Re: Trip Report - Long Weekend in the Illawarra and the 'Gong

Sounds like a very enjoyable and relaxing few days. Great to get such wonderful visibility the first day. It really is a beautiful region and so many alternatives for great touring.

Level Contributor
510 posts
33 reviews
6. Re: Trip Report - Long Weekend in the Illawarra and the 'Gong

I'm not quite sure what made me come to this forum as I now live in the UK and havent been back to Australia since I left in 1971 (oh my days Im old) but your report has just brought back such happy memories. I lived in Shellharbour back in the day, mum worked in Kiama and I recall many happy childhood days spent in this area, particularly Seven Mile Beach.

I have just decided that I am coming back for a visit sometime soon.

Many thanks for your report, am going to have to start saving the pennies when I get back from my Cuba holiday this year.

Cheers

Edited: 11 May 2011, 11:18
7. Re: Trip Report - Long Weekend in the Illawarra and the 'Gong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 May 2015, 01:15
Get answers to your questions about Wollongong
More Wollongong Topics