We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is best hotel to stay at in Wollongong

sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
204 reviews
Which is best hotel to stay at in Wollongong

I am going to be staying in Wollongong in September with my husband he is there for business I am there for two days relaxation.

At present I have booked Rydges Wollongong but just noticed a new hotel opening called the Chifley. Does anyone know or has seen the Chifley? Not sure if I should stay at Rydges or change to Chifley as Chifley is brand new

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
1. Re: Which is best hotel to stay at in Wollongong

Hi, I recently stayed at the Chifley, Wollongong and oh my goodness what a disorganised bunch they are. Although brand new and has the potential to be a great hotel, the staff need more training. There are major teething problems with the infrasture ie:

Lifts not working properly

Keys not working

Intermitent hot water

No restaurant

Bar closes early

Bathrooms basic and will not stand the test of time for cleanliness

Room service is great though!

Edited: 09 October 2010, 05:03
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,276 posts
2,065 reviews
2. Re: Which is best hotel to stay at in Wollongong

Hi,

If you like being close to the beach - The Novotel is located in a beautiful position directly across the road from the beach. The rooms are tired but do have fab waterviews. If the beach is not your cup of tea then others to consider are the Medina Executive apartments & the Best western apartments.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,597 posts
204 reviews
3. Re: Which is best hotel to stay at in Wollongong

The Novotel is an overated overpriced dump and way too far from the central area with it's plethora of great restaurants and some shopping etc. Only Ocean View rooms have great views and many just look back at the street. Nightclub noise is often an issue. The main centre is no more than a 3 minute walk from the beach.

Can't comment on the Chifley but have stayed at Medina and Quest and for the $$ paid we got a much better deal at Quest. Rydges varies from room to room, some are more "tired" others.

I'll prob do a quick look see over the chifley in Nov as we will need accom in Dec

Edited: 10 October 2010, 06:49
sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
204 reviews
4. Re: Which is best hotel to stay at in Wollongong

For the first night we ended up staying at the Rydges in their meant to be best room Executive Queen Spa Suite. Warning this hotel isnt worth 2 stars. The people that stay there look like homeless people. The place is filthy, I didn't sleep all night waiting for something terrible to happen needless to say we checked out and moved to the Novotel and I was very pleasantly surprised. I don't know how anyone can complain. We had an Ocean View room with amazing views. Its was very quiet. Staff were excellent. I would go back again to the Novotel.

Wollongong
1 post
5. Re: Which is best hotel to stay at in Wollongong

Dear Guruswife,

Thank you for comments regarding Novotel Wollongong Northbeach.

From your comments, I would like to clarify that we have not had a nightclub in the hotel for the past 4 years. There may be nightclub noise in the CBD area of Wollongong, however not at North Wollongong where we are located.

North Wollongong is only a 2 minute drive to the Wollongong city centre. Not only do we have a variety of dining options in the hotel, there are also numerous restaurants and cafes surrounding the hotel to give our guests plenty of options.

In regards to the accommodation rooms, over half of the rooms in the hotel have ocean views and balconies. We do have a number of Residential View rooms; these rooms do not have ocean views or balconies.

I do hope we can turn your opinion of our property around and would be more than happy to welcome you back to stay when you are visiting Wollongong in December. If you would like to contact me, I will personally arrange your booking for you.

Kind regards,

Belinda McGarity

Director of Sales & Marketing

Edited: 22 October 2010, 03:44
sydney
Level Contributor
31 posts
204 reviews
6. Re: Which is best hotel to stay at in Wollongong

I think you have sent this to the wrong person. I didnt write any of the comments you are suggesting. I wrote wonderful comments about the Novotel only wasnt happy with the food

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
7. Re: Which is best hotel to stay at in Wollongong

Dear Ghdirons,

Thank you for your feedback and for choosing to stay at Chifley Wollongong.

Please accept my sincere apologies for providing you with a great experience however trust that we have made many advances since the opening of the hotel.

May I please take this opportunity to provide you with an update on the following points:

Lifts - we are in the process of up grading our lifts to provide a more effecient service and to improve its reliability. This works will be completed by mid November.

Keys - I have investigated and tested a variety of keys and all seems to be in working order.

Hot Water - I'm pleased to advise that all Hot Water related issues have now been resolved.

Our main restaurant named C Grill is also now open for breakfast and dinner. We are serving a full buffet breakfast everyday from 6:30am to 9:30am and offer an a la carte menu for dinner from Tuesday - Saturdays between 6:00pm till late.

Once again, please accept my apologies for not meeting your expactations however I do hope we can welcome you back to the Chifley Wollongong in the near future. Should you require any further information or assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Warm regards,

Adrian Teh

General Manager

Chifley Wollongong

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
4 reviews
8. Re: Which is best hotel to stay at in Wollongong

Dear KodySydney,

Thank you for your post and hope you had a great time in Wollongong in September.

Just to provide you with some details of the Chifley Wollongong, which opened on the 1st of September. We are conveniently located on South Beach and a only 100m to the WIN Entertainment Centre, great if you're coming to an event at the WEC. Also close by is Wollongong Golf Club, a 2 min walk from our front doors.

We offer 168 guest rooms ranging from Deluxe Rooms to our Chifley Suites positioned on level 11 offering great ocean and city views, 20m heated lap pool, gym, bar and restaurant, along with extensive conference and events facilities.

Should you require any future accommodation in Wollongong, please do not hesitate to contact one of our friendly team members on 4201 2111.

Look forward to welcoming you back to our great city and hofefully to the Chifley Wollongong.

Warm regards,

Adrian Teh

General Manager

Chifley Wollongong

9. Re: Which is best hotel to stay at in Wollongong

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 07:38
Get answers to your questions about Wollongong
More Wollongong Topics