We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grafton, NSW Australia

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Grafton, NSW Australia

Will be visiting Grafton this October. Intend to stay 2 days. Is it too long? Do not seems to have alot to do in Grafton. Any advise?

10 replies to this topic
Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
453 posts
175 reviews
1. Re: Grafton, NSW Australia

You are right ... there is not a lot to do in Grafton!

Grafton is a very pretty, old country town with some lovely old buildings. But that is about it. At the end of October / beginning of November there is the Jacaranda Festival with a big street parade. The jacarandas are all in flower giving a stunning purple-blue hue to the light. There are some nice drives around the area which would give you a good idea of rural Australia.

Grafton is a little north of Coffs Harbour where there are a few more tourist facilities.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,196 posts
2,027 reviews
2. Re: Grafton, NSW Australia

Will you have a car ?? as there is plenty of attractions outside of Grafton to see. Grafton is a town known for its beautiful Jacaranda trees which are in full bloom in October. The town is located on the Clarence River which houses cute villages like Lawernce, Brusgrove, Copmanhurst and Jackadery. Make sure you visit Susan Island, which has the largest fruit bat colony in Australia. River cruises and houseboat hire are available on the river.

Yamba is approx. 1 hr drive north from Grafton & Coffs Harbour 1 hr drive south of Grafton.

Kingston, Australia
Destination Expert
for Canberra
Level Contributor
18,221 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Grafton, NSW Australia

>>Is it too long?<<

You haven't explained why you are going there, or given any other details at all, eg is it 2 days and 1 night or 2 says and 2 nights or 3, will you have a vehicle, is it a stop-over en route to somewhere, what are your interests as in what do you enjoy doing?

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
4. Re: Grafton, NSW Australia

If you don't have a car, then you are staying one and a half days too long

australia
Destination Expert
for New South Wales, Noosa
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Grafton, NSW Australia

how are you getting to Grafton and where from in the days previous would help with suggestions. I live just up the road a way. Lots to see and do not too far away as previously suggested

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: Grafton, NSW Australia

Yes will be driving from Gold Coast and planning to stop for 2 nights, ie 3 days vacation in Grafton then drive north to lismore.

Arriving on 12 Oct and leaving 14 Oct. Got attracted to Jacaranda trees when I goodle and hope we are on time for the full bloom.

Ballina, Australia
Level Contributor
939 posts
27 reviews
7. Re: Grafton, NSW Australia

Hi dl, I hope the Jacarandas are in bloom for you. Lismore has them too, although nowhere near the extent of Grafton.

It is really good to see our overseas visitors travelling to some of the less tourist places. Well done and have a great trip

Singapore, null...
Level Contributor
1 post
12 reviews
8. Re: Grafton, NSW Australia

hi Ellemay. Could you give more details on how to arrange a boat to Susan Island? I googled but did not find much practical info about hiring a boat. I don't think there is a regular ferry, right? Can I simply go to the Prince Street Wharf and wave down a boat to take me to the island? Thanks.

Grafton
Level Contributor
1 post
20 reviews
9. Re: Grafton, NSW Australia

Go to Walkers Marina Hotel and see Margaret. See is a local and knows everyone. She can organise almost anything. Yes the bats are amazing.

Gold Coast...
2 posts
10. Re: Grafton, NSW Australia

Hi dobbo,

I am planning a trip to the clarence river area in Feb 2015.....Have been doing lots of research but there is nothing like the knowledge of a local...I wonder if you would be happy to give me your opinion about a few things locally...

Cheers Jude

Reply to: Grafton, NSW Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Grafton
Recent Conversations