We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bathurst Day trip

Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
Bathurst Day trip

thinking about visiting Bathurst for the day. The opal card seems to make it all possible to travel these great distances. What types of sights and places would you recommend that are within walking or public transport distance from the Bathurst railway station? Or is it better off to drive to the area and make it a weekend getaway?

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
20,768 posts
211 reviews
1. Re: Bathurst Day trip

Drive and weekend get away.

The best sights are out of town unless you are into a 15-20 minutes walk to look at a typical country town.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,939 posts
30 reviews
2. Re: Bathurst Day trip

Agree - make it a weekend trip. Go one way via the Great Western Highway & Blue Mountain towns & the other via Bells Line of Road, Bilpin & Mt Tomsh Botanical Garden.

Bathurst & the surrounding area has a rich gold mining, grazing & farming history. And a little further on near Orange, Cadia mine carries on the gold mining tradition, but in a high tech manner in contrast to the old days.

Edited: 12 May 2015, 12:34
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12,564 posts
34 reviews
3. Re: Bathurst Day trip

Drive and explore - Bathurst, Mudgee, Gulgong. Easily spend 3 days in the area.

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
25 reviews
4. Re: Bathurst Day trip

A couple of comments. I don't know where you are travelling from, but I'm presuming you are local.

A day-trip to Bathurst is no cheaper with Opal then it was before Opal. Bathurst always covered by the Cityrail fares, and an off-peak day-return was just $12.80 or so.

It's not at all clear how Opal currently works on the bus between Lithgow and Bathurst. Reports seem to be that the bus may not yet accept Opal at this time, and you may need to use a paper ticket. Although I've not checked personally. But $17 for a paper ticket, $13 or so on Opal. You're not talking the big bucks.

You can't make a day-trip to Bathurst on the Opal enabled train from Sydney, only v.v. The single daily train

The XPT train makes much better time, and does offer a day-trip possibility - but without the bargain fares of the Intercity services.

And of course, beside the logistical issues, you have the "what to do in Bathurst" for a day. Personally, this wouldn't be much of an issue for me, a wander around town. Drop into the Art Gallery, Mineral Museum, walk up Mount Panorama, and go the motor racing museum. It's a nice time in Autumn with the leaves in the parks. Depends what you are in to.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
96 reviews
5. Re: Bathurst Day trip

And if you are Motor Sport fan, you can drive around the Mt Panorama circuit. Keep in mind that it is a public road, and is very well policed, and it is two way.

Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Bathurst Day trip

Thanks for the advice guys... much appreciated i will have to make it a weekend trip... have to find somewhere closer to blacktown where I live to make use of the opal free trips then...

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,939 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Bathurst Day trip

Kristian - what about the Blue Mountains?

I do t know what the deal is with Opal cards etc., but it's a great day out and would be very easy to do from Blacktown.

Oz
Level Contributor
15,416 posts
50 reviews
8. Re: Bathurst Day trip

Hi,

Anywhere is a good day out when you live in Blacktown.

Don't miss Sofala and Hill End when you escape to Bathurst.

visitnsw.com/destinations/…sofala

Cheers,

Level Contributor
10 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Bathurst Day trip

Blue mountains has been done but I think I can still visit Leura for the food and markets nearby

Reply to: Bathurst Day trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bathurst