We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wanaka

Which Christchurch hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Perth
Level Contributor
547 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wanaka

Hi all - heading to Queenstown for a week and will drive across to beauiful Wanaka, one of our favourite spots. Would love recommendations for family of five - parents and three teenage/adult kids.

Boys like to fish and explore, girls enjoy scenery - ideas for something memorable to do for all of us to do - dining recommendations also appreciated. WanakaLakes I'm sure this is up your alley ...

Also I check the weather sites to try and plan the days as we are there next week, but each time I look it changes - it is the NZ metservice site - any recommendations for best weather prediction site?

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wanaka

Hi Onslow :)

I use this for weather but it does hiccup occasionally. Yesterday it showed Queenstown with a warmer temp than Wanaka! Which is almost unheard of www.metservice.co.nz/towns-cities/wanaka

what to do in Wanaka? Puzzling World is lots of fun for all ages. I skip the maze (but many of my guests love it). The illusion rooms are great and also visit the loos!

Drive up the Matukituki Valley to Mt Aspiring National Park. My fav hike is Diamond Lake (the drive to the trailhead is 30 min), the most popular hike is Rob Roy glacier (1 hour drive to trail). Rent bikes and cycle along the lake edge. Kayak, horse ride, hiking, sailing, jet boating (River Journeys is great). Rafting, canyonlands, skydiving, also great fishing.

If driving over the Crown Range to Wanaka you will pass cardrona Adventure Park. The boys will love it!

Great for lunch... Lone Star (enormous portions) Trout (it doesn't serve trout but if you catch some they will cook it for you), Fincheys has $10 specials, Cafe Fe (you will pass it coming into town from Cardrona), the Cardrona Hotel great for lunch in the back garden.

Dinner... Botswana Butchery, The Luggate Hotel (fantastic wild food menu, see my review), Trout, the White House, Lone Star.

hope this helps :)

Elgin, Illinois
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wanaka

Just returned from Wanaka.

We were under the capable guidance of Mark Orbell of Ridgeline Adventures http://www.ridgelinenz.com/

He can set up a day of trout fishing or Heli-Hiking that your boys will long remember. I also suggest taking the Wanaka River Journey jet boat up the Matukituki River.

3. Re: Wanaka

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 August 2010, 05:15