We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seafood in the South

kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
274 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Seafood in the South

We will be driving a campervan from Catlins to Te Anau via Invercargill and Riverton. Any good place for seafood in Invercargill or anywhere in between? Dine in/takeaway/fresh seafood for cooking are all ok for us. Don't want to miss the Bluff oysters, blue cod and muttonfish especially!

Mentioned in this post
Te Anau
Te Anau
Fiordland National Park, New Zealand
Invercargill
Invercargill
Southland Region, New Zealand
Bluff
Bluff
Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seafood in the South

There is a very good, but simple, takeaway food shack just as you head in to Bluff, operated by one of the oyster companies - they do very good oysters (as would be expected) and blue cod. We also had a surprisingly good feed of blue cod in the Waiau Hotel in Tuatapere (it is on the way) and have always had the same at the Otautau Hotel (it is just off your way). Muttonbirds might be a bit harder to find on the menu - I can't think of anywhere off-hand to get them.

Mentioned in this post
Bluff
Bluff
New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
29,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seafood in the South

I won't eat Sooty Shearwater, their numbers are in serious decline around the world - not helped by those wading through the nesting colonies in the dark and bashing the defenceless birds over the head.

terranature.org/sootyShearwaterMigration.htm

yes I eat meat - but I do have my limits.

3. Re: Seafood in the South

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 30 October 2013, 06:40
Edited: 30 October 2013, 06:40
kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
274 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seafood in the South

Not aware that muttonbird is endangered species Sooty Shearwater, Coaster2 recommended this thus we thought it's a fairly common delicacy in NZ. Thanks for preventing us from becoming culprits for its possible extinction! And I just realised that I've made a big mistake putting it as "muttonfish"...OMG...LOL..

Dunedin, New Zealand
Destination Expert
for Dunedin
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seafood in the South

There is a limited season during which muttonbird can be caught (by Maori only) - from April to May, in order to provide protection against extinction. They do show up in local supermarkets during that time, and are very much an acquired taste (and require careful cooking) - I'd say it is about 40 years since I actually ate any.

Greymouth, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
3,896 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seafood in the South

Kings restaurant in Tay Sy Invercargill menumania.co.nz/restaurants/hms-kings-restau…

One of my favourites in Invercargill

Mentioned in this post
Invercargill
Invercargill
kuala lumpur
Level Contributor
274 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seafood in the South

Nz Barry many thanks for your very helpful info. We will travel to Dunedin from Christchurch prior to the South, perhaps you could also give us some tips on Dunedin?

Coaster2, thanks for the link! Will check it out.

Edited: 31 October 2013, 01:16
Mentioned in this post
Dunedin
Dunedin
Otago Region, New Zealand
Christchurch
Christchurch
Canterbury Region, New Zealand
8. Re: Seafood in the South

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 November 2014, 04:16