We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Maps

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Topic
Driving Maps

I would be driving in South Island, and plan on using the GPS.

However, I would also like to have a driving map to complement my GPS.

Would anyone have a recommendation on a good driving map to guide me from city to city. (Christchurch - Dunedin - Te Anau - Milford Sound- Te Anau - Mt Cook - Christchurch)

I also understand that there are online driving directions and maps. Would anyone recommend a good site to go to - google maps? New Zealand AA ? other?

Please advice.

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Maps

Hi

You can try:

http://maps.aa.co.nz/

http://www.aatravel.co.nz/main/index.php

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Maps

Thanks. I noticed that u have a singapore address. Did you drive to milford sound? What was your experience like. Any advice for another singapore driver.? Thanks.

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Maps

I am also in the midst of planning a trip to South Island in Nov. The AA websites have been recommended by destination experts in this forum. :p

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Maps

Thanks. I guess I will share my experience. All the best n have a great trip.

Singapore
Level Contributor
463 posts
292 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Maps

Same to u.

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,297 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Maps

A road map with come with your rental car, you really won't need more than that.

take care if usuing GPS in the South Island. First off, I don't think it's needed as we have few roads and they are all well signposted. Possibly it would be helpful in Chch but since the earthquake any GPS directions will be out of date anyway.

And secendly with GPS, it can send you down back roads never meant for toursists and sometimes not even meant for cars - odt.co.nz/news/dunedin/204902/gps-systems-se…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Maps

Thanks for the information.

Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
7,164 posts
194 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Maps

A GPS can be useful for finding a particular street in a city in the SI. Apart from that I would go with a map for the reasons WL makes. If you don't set the GPS correctly you may take in more of the country than you intended.

Navigating is generally easy in the SI, you might even get away with a few notes from a motellier etc on a bit of memo cube paper. There are only a few key decisions that have to be made and sign posting is excellent..

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Maps

Thanks. It is good to know that it is easy to get around. Looking forward to great driving tour.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,491 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Maps

I'm going to go out on my own here and say that I think a GPS is great. However, this obviously does depend on the brand of GPS and how up to date the maps are.

My Garmin has the most up to date NZ maps and I used it everyday on my recent South Island Trip. Not, though, for the reasons one might think.

As WanakaLakes and NZMike57 have said, you rarely need the GPS to give you directions. It can be useful to quickly find the street motels etc are on, but in general, NZ roads are pretty easy to navigate.

What I love is all the other functions many GPS units provide, such as speed limits, points of interest, distance to destination, location to nearest petrol station etc.

I would refer to it many times to get the name of small lakes and rivers we were passing, to see how bendy the roads ahead were and how close we were to the coast etc. Also, the ETA on my GPS was pretty near accurate. Everytime we stopped for a break or got stuck in traffic it adjusted the time accordingly to let us know when we could expect to arrive at our next stop. While we were never in a hurry, it was still nice to be able to plan our days around how long the drive would take.

Edited: 16 April 2012, 05:37