We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying options

Perth
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flying options

Just home after 17 days on South Island and will be posting several topics - this one on our flying experience - not specifically South Island related but is relevant to those planning flights.

Coming from Australia we have always used Qantas due to Frequent Flyers but on this occasion flew Emirates into Christchurch - well worth it and I am still amazed it only takes two and a half hours - I would be there every month if we were that close, but alas we live in Perth, so add another 4-5 hours flying time.

On returning home we flew out of Queenstown airport on Air New Zealand. Really happy with the airport, staff and especially the service on board. I imagine everyone has different experiences but in general the air crew on Emirates and Air New Zealand ran rings around the Australian crews on Qantas - I would even forego Frequent Flyers and experience a better level of service rather than fly on an airline where staff go out of their way to avoid contact with passengers and don't seem to have a smile option. I understand they work hard and it's not easy - but given a choice between a few airlines it may come down to how passengers are treated on board.

Also interesting to not the statistics on on-time performance out of smaller airports like Queenstown - Air New Zealand tops the list while Qantas are known to cancel more readily.

Hope that helps

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
793 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying options

Have to agree with you on the Emirates front - we (2A & 1 5 yr old) flew with them from Chch to Melbourne on a holiday a few years ago, and we cannot fault them for service, kids attention, meals and everything else.

We're flying Air NZ to Sydney next week, so will post a comparison.....Watch this space.....

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,243 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying options

Emirates long haul is actually at the bottom of my list, AirNZ at the top. We have flown with both of them 3 or 4 times over the last 2 years and there is no comparison. Not only has the service been virtually non exisitant on Emirates, the seat pitch has been the smallest of 1/2 dozen airlines we have recently flown with, makes for an uncomfortable flight.

And yet I've done a Auckland-Melbourne with Emirates and it was fine, they obviously have the short haul flights under control.

Perth
Level Contributor
535 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying options

That's interesting Zappers, good to know. Sydney-Chch was fine with Emirates - maybe it was all the channels on the entertainment and my son was impressed - plus really helps when it is such a short flight, perhaps I wasn't aware of the shortcomings as you would be on a long haul. It was an A340 so not sure about seat pitch and comparison to long haul. The Air NZ hostesses were fantastic and like the old days with a smile and a genuine interest. That flight was an A320 which is smaller aircraft but didn't seem confined - although it really helps when the flight is half full!

New Zealand
Destination Expert
for South Island
Level Contributor
28,293 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying options

I haven't flown Emirates but have heard wonderful things about their business and first class service on long haul flights. I always fly Air NZ as figure its safe from terrorists.

Queenstown, New...
Level Contributor
1,340 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying options

Qantas do have more cancellations into Queenstown, as the planes are old ones and don't have the navigational equipment. So if the weather is bad, they either go to Invercargill or back to Christchurh. Where as Air NZ can land!

6. Re: Flying options

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2009, 15:20