We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Abel Tasman Kayak

Perth
Level Contributor
593 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Abel Tasman Kayak

I would love to hear from anyone who has done a kayak tour. We are heading to stay in Motueka in April and will be looking at doing one of the tours - there are a few to choose from.

I have never kayaked before but the photos look stunning and the people at the tour companies assure me I will be able to manage the Beaches, Bays and Seals trip - a full day with water taxi, kayaking and sailing.

I just don't want to spoil the next few days if it's too difficult for a newcomer.

Also I am a bit nervous about the ocean and whether it gets rough!

London, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Abel Tasman Kayak

Hi there,

Sorry Im really late with replying - I have done a kayak tour and I have kayaked the abel tasman 3/4 other times as well with friends.

You will LOVE it - my wife was a first time kayaker so we got a tandem kayak and she loved it.

I did the trip you are talking about - most days in the Tasman Bay/Golden Bay region the water is dead flat or close enough to it. The guides are brilliant and you do a quick lesson before you head off in the morning - theres nothing to worry about - trust me.

Perth
Level Contributor
593 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Abel Tasman Kayak

Thanks so much for that - now I'm excited - have always wanted to do it from seeing the photos.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
9,429 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Abel Tasman Kayak

Onslow, just make sure they supply a back support, they usually come with most kayaks but are not always used. It can be very tiring and painful on your back if you're not used to paddling. Regardless you will have wonderful time, it is simply stunning scenery.

London, United...
Level Contributor
239 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Abel Tasman Kayak

The day we did the tandem kayak trip was what they consider rough and the waves were very small - hehehe... we didnt get to sail back because the wind was in the wrong direction and a bit strong but I know people who have done it and loved it...

You are going to love it - the weather and scenery will be lovely even in April.

The Abel Tasman is without doubt my number one NZ location - Im a beach bunny and you can paddle around and see literally dozens of golden sand beaches with forests right down to the sand - amazing!

Please let us know how you got on when you get back - Im very jealous! By the way it is possible to take your camera too - I took mine - most kayaks have storage and most companies have water proof bags and boxes specially designed for that.

By the way www.flickr.com/photos/krusada/2210445442/ is one of the many beaches on the way - we had a picnic for lunch there on a deserted beach - AMAZING!

Perth
Level Contributor
593 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Abel Tasman Kayak

That looks gorgeous krusada, just what I was hoping for. We are spending three nights in the region (two and half days) so the full day trip is number one on the list - not sure about the other days, if you love the area maybe you can give me a must do?

Thanks Zappers - I will certainly ask for a back rest as I do have a lower back issue - mind you I'm doing my best to strengthen everything before heading there and 'having a go'!

We are also spending two nights at Marlborough Sounds and might get a chance to paddle in a kayak at the resort to get some practise in!!

6. Re: Abel Tasman Kayak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 September 2009, 23:17