We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What hotel close to Wallis Street !

Which Wellington hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
1,379 reviews
Save Topic
What hotel close to Wallis Street !

Hi all,

We (hubby & I) are attending a conference in Wellington in early May & the conference will be held in Wallis Street. I'm looking for a fab hotel or apartment hotel for a week's accommodation.

We do like luxury, close to restaurants, cafes & shops. My preference is a suite or an apartment due to hubby always carrying his work gear.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I was thinking of the Bolton Hotel but it looks a little out of the way...what do you think ?

Thanks again !

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What hotel close to Wallis Street !

Wellington is a compact city, and the Bolton Hotel is not too far from Willis Street. about 10 minutes walk. If you wanted to be closer, there are hotels in Willis Street, although they tend to be 3 star (eg the Abel Tasman, Trinity, Mercure). You've mentioned apartments - one possibility is Village Apartments (http://www.villageapartments.co.nz/) who have 3 properties in this area - Boulcott Suites, Willis and Flagstaff. If you do decide to go with a hotel and want something closer than the Bolton, the Intercontinental, Novotel and James Cook are handy.

Willis Street is one of the main shopping streets and connects with Lambton Quay which is the main shopping street. If you're staying in this area, there are various options for restaurants close by. Head down to the waterfront, or to Cuba Street where you will find numerous ethnic restaurants plus Logan Brown and the Matterhorn which are well-regarded.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
1,379 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What hotel close to Wallis Street !

Thanks Selsy for your info.,

Basically, it seems Wellington is a close knit town within walking distance to most places.

If you had to stay in Wellington what would your choice be ??

I appreciate your thoughts & suggestions.

EM.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What hotel close to Wallis Street !

There are two 5 star hotels right in the centre of town within walking distance of Willis Street. Firstly is the Park Royal and secondly the Amora. The Park Royal is the one most favoured by the Glitterati and is right in the centre of the CBD.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What hotel close to Wallis Street !

Bearing in mind that I've never actually stayed in any of these hotels, I'd go for either the Bolton or the Intercontinental (formerly the Park Royal). I've heard some mixed things about the Amora, so I wouldn't feel confident about that. The Intercontinental is big and busy, whereas the Bolton is smaller and quieter. It also has a really good good restaurant. If you go the apartment route, the Boulcott Suites property is fairly new. We booked someone in there for work, and he was very happy with it.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
1,379 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What hotel close to Wallis Street !

Thanks Beanb & Selsy for your thoughts & advice on the hotels.

I will look into the intercontinental & Bolton...I did actually research today the Boulcott Suites they looked attractive & in a handy location.

Thanks again !!

EM.

Wellington, NZ
Destination Expert
for Wellington
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What hotel close to Wallis Street !

Is the conference at the Mercure? If so, it's at the far end of Willis St and if you stay at the Bolton, it will take about 30 minutes to walk there. While the Bolton is lovely, it is located in the business part of town . . . which means after hours it is much quieter than the likes of Courtenay Place or Cuba St, where you will probably head for dinner/drinks. Again, it's about a 30 minute walk from Courtenay Place and maybe around 20 minutes from Cuba St (there are buses though).

In terms of location, the Intercontinental or the Boulcott Suites are more centrally located, and about 10-15 minutes closer to Willis St. The Boulcott St Bistro is my favourite restaurant in Wellington.

If you stay at the Bolton, just a word of warning. The Bolton doesn't have tinted windows.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
1,379 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What hotel close to Wallis Street !

Hi Weta,

The conference is being held at 100 Wallis Street - I'm not sure what building it is. If so, what hotel would be the closest. ?

I'm leaning more towards the intercontinental or Boulcott Suites only due to the fact we prefer to have more space than a normal hotel room.

The meetings start super early so the max walking hubby would want to do walk would be 10mins. Are these hotels mentioned within walking distance to 100 Wallis Street. ?

Also do you have any other favourite restaurants apart from the one you mentioned ??

Thanks again I really appreciate everyone's help.

EM.

Edited: 29 March 2011, 00:18
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,069 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What hotel close to Wallis Street !

EM within 10 minutes walk of the Intercontinental are 3 of the finest restaurants NZ has to offer. Each of them has won the best restaurant in NZ within the last 4 years.

1. On Oriental Parade is Martin Bosley's Restaurant in the Royal Port Nicholson yacht club

2. Matterhorn in Cuba Street - In addition to being one of the NZ top restaurants it has rated as one of the top bars around the world

3. A bit further up Cuba St on the corner of Vivian St is Logan Brown - their signature dish is a Paua raviolli

I have dined in all 3 year and it is difficult to split them. If I had to I would choose Martin Bosleys because it offers harbour views something I know is dear to your heart

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,618 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What hotel close to Wallis Street !

100 Willis Street is the Majestic Centre, which is on the corner of Boulcott St, so literally across the road from Boulcott Suites, and about 5 minutes from the Intercontinental.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,030 posts
1,379 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What hotel close to Wallis Street !

Wonderful news... Boulcott Suites or Intercontinental.

I will now just hassle a little to see what they can offer for a weeks stay.

Thank you Beanb41 your restaurant guide & Selsy for your info.

EM.

Get answers to your questions about Wellington