We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nights - Rotorua or Taupo ?

delhi
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
2 nights - Rotorua or Taupo ?

Hi

I have 2 nights between Coromandel peninsula & Auckland that I want to spend in the Rotorua / Taupo region. We are a family of 4, first time in New Zealand & are hiring a driver with vehicle for this part of the trip. I have 2 itinerary options, please give your recommendations :

Option 1 - Whitianga - Taupo - Auckland

Driver picks us from Whitianga at 11 am - drive on to Polynesian spa at Rotorua, spend 2-3 hrs in the city including spa - head on to lake Taupo. Night at Taupo. Next day, visit Hukka Falls & Wai o Tapu thermal wonderland. Night again at Taupo. Next morning leave for Auckland, via Waitomo caves.

Option 2 - Whitianga - Rotorua - Auckland

Driver picks us from Whitianga at 11 am - drive on to Wai O Tapu, spend 2-3 hrs here. Head back to Rotorua, spend night here - at a B&B outside town to avoid the smell. Next day, do Polynesian spa & redwood forest, maybe something else around rotorua. Night again at Rotorua. Next morning leave for Auckland, via Waitomo caves.

Which is a better option ? Travelling in April.

Looking forward to your inputs. Thanks...

Mentioned in this post
Coromandel Peninsula
Coromandel Peninsula
Waikato Region, New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
North Island, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
Rotorua District, New Zealand
Taupo
Taupo
Taupo District, New Zealand
New Zealand
New Zealand
South Pacific
Whitianga
Whitianga
Coromandel Peninsula, New Zealand
Polynesian Spa
Polynesian Spa
2,898 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,865 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nights - Rotorua or Taupo ?

There are far more attractions in Rotorua than Taupo. i would do Wai-o-tapu on the 2nd day however as the Lady Knox Geyser erupts every morning at 10:15. You don't need 2-3 hours there unless you are either a very slow walker or a very keen photographer. The longest route takes about 90 minutes.

You could also do a Maori cultural evening.

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Taupo
Taupo
Lady Knox Geyser
Lady Knox Geyser
233 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
delhi
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nights - Rotorua or Taupo ?

Thanks zhuhai

I think I will stick to Rotorua then. Was thinking of Taupo as I'm quite concerned about the smell.. It might trigger a headache I have heard

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Taupo
Taupo
Falkirk District...
Level Contributor
512 posts
444 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nights - Rotorua or Taupo ?

We visited Taupo and Rotorua and found far more to do in Rotorua than Taupo. I don't know what ages are going. Have you thought of rafting in Rotorua. I did white water sledging and I am 60!

Mentioned in this post
Taupo
Taupo
Rotorua
Rotorua
Feilding, New...
Destination Expert
for Rotorua
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nights - Rotorua or Taupo ?

The 'smell' is not nearly as bad as some people are led to believe. When there is low cloud it is usually more noticeable. It would seem a pity to miss many of Rotorua's attractions because you may get a headache - rather like saying, "I won't fly because the plane may fall." It is best to visit Waiotapu early morning to see the geyser.

You can walk around Kuirau Park with its thermal pools and nearby Ohinemutu Village for no charge and they are both central city. For scenery, the drive to Lakes Okareka and Tarawera is recommended.

Mentioned in this post
Kuirau Park
Kuirau Park
932 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
Ohinemutu
Ohinemutu
172 Reviews
Rotorua, New Zealand
5. Re: 2 nights - Rotorua or Taupo ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2017, 21:17
delhi
Level Contributor
78 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nights - Rotorua or Taupo ?

Thank you everyone for the really helpful inputs. Rotorua it is for us then.

I am thinking we ll just stay at one of the B&Bs slightly outside of town - to yet be on a safe side from smell point of view. Else Novotel would have been nice as an Accor plus member

Any tips on - honey farms, farmers markets, food factories, wool farming - anywhere from coromandel / Rotorua / Auckland

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Rotorua
Rotorua
Christchurch, New...
Destination Expert
for Zhuhai, Christchurch, South Island
Level Contributor
38,865 posts
432 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nights - Rotorua or Taupo ?

You might find it harder than you think to visit food factories & farms. NZ has very strict health & safety legislation and very few factories welcome casual visitors these days. If you have a professional interest you would be advised to contact the management a few weeks in advance.

"Honey farrms" cover the entire country and the bees are moved regularly from place to place according to demand. However you might find the Comvita Factory in Te Puke worht visiting, or the Honey Shop near Huka Falls in Taupo, if you get that far.

Since you seem interested in farming, I recommend the Agrodome in Rotorua for a very professional show, focussed on sheep, but also includes milking a cow.

Instead of a BnB have you thought about including a Farm Stay in your itineray?

Mentioned in this post
Taupo
Taupo
Agrodome
Agrodome
1,310 Reviews
Ngongotaha, New Zealand
Rotorua
Rotorua
8. Re: 2 nights - Rotorua or Taupo ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2018, 04:17