We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellent restaurant in St Kilda?

Auckland
Level Contributor
135 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Excellent restaurant in St Kilda?

Hi There!

I was wondering if anyone could suggest one or two really exceptional restaurants in the St Kilda area? We have a concert and wanted to eat near the venue location. We aren't worried too much about what kind of food (italian, japanese, australian etc), but we did want something really special. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
564 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellent restaurant in St Kilda?

If you're wanting something delicious and a bit casual, you could go for gourmet pizza at either Mr Wolf or I Carusi.

Otherwise, excellent fine dining at Donovans.

Enjoy! :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
564 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellent restaurant in St Kilda?

I should also mention that there'll probably be a barrage of "advisees" who recommend Stokehouse. In my opinion, it's not as good as it used to be....but having said that, it is an icon of fine dining in St Kilda.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
466 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellent restaurant in St Kilda?

I guess if you are going to a concert (Palais?) you won't really want to be hurried over fine dining??? One good place is Lau's Kitchen but you need to book and they have 2 sittings - first is 6-8pm. Ichi Ni is a relaxed place next to the Espy with sea views. In Fitzroy St there is Tolarno, Di Stasio and Sapore that are all leaning towards fine dining. Cicciolina in Acland St is an institution but no bookings so may miss out in timing. For more tapa and wine there is Mockingbird in the George complex and Barcelona closer to the beach end in Fitzroy St.

East Gippsland
Level Contributor
3,967 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellent restaurant in St Kilda?

At the beach is Soul Mama - vegetarian and need to book.

www.soulmama.com.au

So many choices!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,215 posts
1,448 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellent restaurant in St Kilda?

My choices :

a) Cafe Di Stasio - Italian.

b) Stokehouse

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
208 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellent restaurant in St Kilda?

Just had lunch at Stokehouse last week and, as mentioned by another poster, standards seem to have slipped. Casual atmo but not casual prices. Food is only OK. Drinks prices outrageous IMHO. Go 'next door' to Donovans for much better food and same views :)

Parking can be a PITA but I am just guessing you may be taking PT or taxi.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
64 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellent restaurant in St Kilda?

Key to Stokehouse is going upstairs, rather than the craziness of the slightly more casual eating downstairs.

Along Ackland St Chinta Ria is good.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellent restaurant in St Kilda?

I suppose it depends on your defintion of special..

At the end of Acland st is Bog Mouth...casual dining but nice;

www.bigmouthstkilda.com.au

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellent restaurant in St Kilda?

I suppose it depends on your defintion of special..

At the end of Acland st is Bog Mouth...casual dining but nice;

www.bigmouthstkilda.com.au

10. Re: Excellent restaurant in St Kilda?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2010, 05:18