We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying with sport equipment to Melbourne, whats the cost?

Which Melbourne hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Scunthorpe,United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Flying with sport equipment to Melbourne, whats the cost?

This November I will be flying from London, Heathrow to Melbourne for at least a year using Air China. According to their website I can only take one item of checked luggage at 20KG. This dosnt seem much especially for an international flight. I also want to take my skis and boots. However I cant see anything that says if I will get charged for sporting equipment, if sporting equipment is free or if they have a set price for sporting equipment. There is something about a charge per KG which is based on 1.5% of the cheapest one way ticket, which makes it all the more confusing as it still dosnt give me a price to work around if I did have to pay extra. In my experience most of the airlines i flew with didnt charge for ski equipment or had a set price of around £15-£35 for the extra equipment.

Just hoping there will be somebody here who might be able to help me out a little or has any advice etc

Thanks

jack

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Airlie Beach, Whitsunday Islands
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying with sport equipment to Melbourne, whats the cost?

20kg is the norm for allowance but carrying sport equipment varies from airline to airline..

The only way to make sure is to check with someone direct at the airline and have that ina written confirmation..(usually they say yes free but must be insode the 20kg limit) If over they can then cahrge the extra baggage allowance. The payment there will also vary from airport to airport.

having been thru the hassle of carrying pushbikes and other sporting paraphenalia over a long period of time you can't even be sure with the same airline from trip to trip as different planes will give different limits..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying with sport equipment to Melbourne, whats the cost?

You could have a bit of a length problem with the skis PJ unless yjey are short trick skis.

According to airchina.co.uk/en/…checked_all.html anything odd that has three sides [Lx H x W] I presume adding up to less than 158 cm. can be included as checked luggage.

I'd expect that the weight restrictions still apply and so you need to think of a nominal fare of say 500 pound and it'll be that X 1.5% X Kgs. over

20 Kg. overweight and it'll be say 150 pond based on a 500 pound fare.

But if your skis mean being over 158 cm. they'll go as cargo and so you would need to talk to them about 'Slow boats to China' or whatever.

Have they got a number there in the UK that you can ring?

btw, you'd probably score some reasonable SH skis out here for not too excessive a price and so that way you could wait and see if we had any decent snow next year.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying with sport equipment to Melbourne, whats the cost?

Sporting equipment such as skis, surfboards and pushbikes are generally exempt formt the total dimension rule..they allow you to carry a pice of porting equipment, depending on the plane with a max length of 2m (Qantas), 1.9m (Cathay, Jetstar)

Once again as I have said it is the discretion of the airline and the plane you are booked on..the only way you'll get the right answer is to check witht he airline

Scunthorpe,United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying with sport equipment to Melbourne, whats the cost?

Yes every airline seems to be different. I actually plan on buying ski boots out there or in New Zealand when the winter season starts, so it wont be too heavy. I just dont want the awkwardness of large fee's etc

One idea I may have is using the large ski bags with wheels, packing my skis, coats, maybe some shoes and other items of clothes, but keeping it under weight. Then a smaller suitcase with clothes that hopefully keeps the weight at 20kg. I then pack shoes, towels etc that might be a bit heavy into my carry on luggage. I sort of did something similar when coming back from Vancouver, as my carry on bag was a football bag and had lots of comaprtments for shoes etc. It was well over 5KG but the fact i carried it around and put it to one side when checking in never raised any questions, neither when it was scanned. So this could be another option, I just like to plan things out well ahead so I dont freak out with a couple of days to go etc

Im also getting quotes for the cost of sending skis via Parcel Force, FedEx, and similar companies.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying with sport equipment to Melbourne, whats the cost?

Have a look at Sportstube..don't know the weblink or best place in IK to purchase..they come in a single ski, tow ski etc formation

if they allow as sport eqt as second pirce without penalty they are a good lightweight method to bot prtect and transport..

socks and jocks will also pack around the skis to give them padding

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,715 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying with sport equipment to Melbourne, whats the cost?

ooops UK..

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying with sport equipment to Melbourne, whats the cost?

The thing is Jack, the Chinese are a bit robotic when it comes to following rules and before you buying anything you ought to contact them to see about the 158 cm.

Their site clearly says over 158 cm. and it's cargo and I'd suspect it'll not matter whether it's done up like a Xmas tree with bells and whistles or not.

They do the information there for people to know and decide ahead of time what they want to do, but if you want to hope and then get saddled with whatever, that's up to you.

Glenlyon, Australia
Level Contributor
4,180 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying with sport equipment to Melbourne, whats the cost?

Maybe I have missed something..have you actually rung the airline. Because at the end of the day, no matter what anyone says in here, no one here has any authorisation to speak on behalf of the airline. And what someone may have paid last month, six months ago, last year may have changed.

Scunthorpe,United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying with sport equipment to Melbourne, whats the cost?

Thats the thing I called the airline, and it sends you to a mailbox kind of thing to ask your question, i wait for ages then im cut off, or told their full etc So while I wait a proper answer from them, im trying to see if other people on here have had a similar experience, im not going to take every comment as if its the answer, just wanting advice from people in similar situations.

And the 158cm, they allow sport equipment such as skis, boards etc so that rule is for a general rucksack, suitcase etc

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
753 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying with sport equipment to Melbourne, whats the cost?

I suppose Jack, it'll come down to how the Chinese do their measurements on their rule on what can be treated as luggage and not cargo, ie.

" Regardless of the actual size, the following objects can be treated as luggage if total length of three sides is less than 158cm:

Sleeping bag or bedroll

Rucksack, knapsack, backpack

Snowboard/Ski equipment - A ski bag containing one pair of skis/one snowboard and poles. A boot bag containing one pair of ski boots.

.............other stuff too "

If the Skis are well over 158 cm. and I assume they are, I would not think they would look at the cross sectional profile of a box that was lets say 100x 100x100 or a 100 dia tube and say three sides is 300 or the tube perimeter is 314.

That's my engineering logic anyway.

They in fact may be more generous and you're doing the right thing in attempting to contact them.