We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our First Impressions.

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
416 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Our First Impressions.

I just thought I would give some feedback of our overall impressions of our first visit to Hamilton Island. We stayed for 4 nights / 5 days at Beach Club, I will also do a separate review of the resort and restaurants.

After a pleasant check-in we decided to take a walk around our new surroundings and ended up walking down to the Marina, it really isn't that far if you are up for it with one hill that if taken slowly wasn't too bad, we ended up walking there and back most times only taking advantage of a chauffeured golf buggy when going out to dinner and when it was raining. We did get a bit of rain but also had sun, about half and half so not too bad.

To be totally honest my first impressions were that I had landed on Fantasy Island, the old TV series. The Reef View Towers and some of the surrounding apartments look like they were designed and built back in the 70 -80's, the Reef View was actually built in 1990. The hundreds of golf buggies running about all over the place also gave it that feel, it is actually quite busy not what I was expecting for a tropical island getaway.

A very modern style yacht club and villas that nestle into the hillside have been built down at the end of the Marina and refurbishment of the Palm Bungalows has started so I can only assume that the refurbishment of other parts of the island are in the planning and of course it takes a good deal of money to do so.

I am not a fan of swimming pools located directly off restaurants you have to be very comfortable with your body to go swimming and lie about while your fellow guests are eating a meal with you as the view. Beach Club, Reef View and Sails restaurant all overlook a pool. The main pool and the Bougainvillea pool were the best pools on the island, well designed located just off Catseye beach and there for anyone to use.

I was a little disappointed in Catseye Beach, though to be fair there had been rain before we arrived and rain while we were there so the water was probably cloudy because of this. We did go swimming in the sea and the water temp was lovely and warm, no problems there.

After settling in we enjoyed a relaxing short break just what we were after and I would like to say that our enjoyment of Hamilton was largely due to the wonderful people, mainly young, quite a few on work visa's from overseas, that we came across working on the island. Everybody seemed genuinely happy to be doing what they were doing.

The island seems to cater to families with young children and middle aged couples, we did see a few younger couples but the only young singles seem to be the staff.

We did have a nice time but probably wouldn't return we have been spoilt by holidays to Fiji and Vanuatu.

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Palm Bungalows
Palm Bungalows
615 Reviews
Hamilton Island, Australia
Catseye Beach
Catseye Beach
647 Reviews
Hamilton Island, Australia
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our First Impressions.

Thankyou for the report, it's not one of my favourite places I'm afraid, so understand exactly what you mean.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,906 posts
1,834 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Our First Impressions.

Thanks for sharing your experiences on HI. I'm not a huge fan of HI but I do love the Whitsundays & the only way you really appreciate the region is by being on a yacht as there are some fabulous islands & little "gems" tucked away.

However; HI is fab for boaties as we can come into the marina & stock up with food & grog !

Sydney
Level Contributor
564 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Our First Impressions.

Hi and thanks for your review!

It is always interesting to hear everyone's opinions not only for HI but anywhere! I'm glad to see that you did enjoy your stay. The staff are pretty good and they do make the island what it is. And good to see you did get some sunshine, we were there in February and had rain 80% of the time unfortunately but we still had fun.

I do also understand what you mean by getting spoilt in Fiji and Vanuatu (I have been to both these places twice and heading back to Fiji next year). However, the Whitsundays are a great location for those not wanting to travel too far but still want to have an island holiday and a little more affordable for families in particular - with the self catering options available.

Ellemay, we are hoping that our next trip to the Whitsundays we will hire a yacht for a few days and go and explore all the little "gems"!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Our First Impressions.

Your holiday would certainly be spoit in Fiji at the moment!

Sydney Aust.
Level Contributor
416 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Our First Impressions.

Serena, how sad is it to see the photos I feel so sad for the Fijians, they were just getting over the January floods, now this, especially since they rely so heavily on tourism.

6. Re: Our First Impressions.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 00:41
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island