We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

September - Stinger suits?

Sydney
Level Contributor
210 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
September - Stinger suits?

Hi, we are (re)visiting in the first week of September, with our kids this time. It sounds like a walk to one of the southern beaches and a swim could be a nice (healthy and inexpensive) way to spend a morning.

Will we need to lug stinger suits with us, in order to be able to swim when we get there? If so, I can't recall where we would get them. Any thoughts?

Many thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,670 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: September - Stinger suits?

Supposedly stinger season is October to march but some experts say they can be found all year

Whether to wear a stinger suit is hard for anyone to answer.. All year round you will find people off Catseye beach swimming and taking part in water sports and I doubt you will find a person wearing a suit

On the day cruises you will probably be advised to wear a suit but they need to cover themselves in case you are stung

I would advise when you arrive to check with some of the beach staff .. I think they can be rented from h2o at the marina if you need them but I think probably not

Abbey

Mentioned in this post
Catseye Beach
Catseye Beach
646 Reviews
Hamilton Island, Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,113 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: September - Stinger suits?

Wearing a stinger suit is like wearing a seat belt.

As Abbey said most people who swim and do water sports on Hamilton don't wear them, but all of the tours operators recommend that you do wear them on their day trips.

I think it is a personal choice.

Nola ;)

Mentioned in this post
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: September - Stinger suits?

Box Jellyfish - deadly - have a season and locations, such that stinger nets are not used out of season and many people don't take precautions on the reef. However, stings have occured outside of the season. I was talking to a marine biologist at the Townsville aquarium, and she never swims without a stinger suit, even on the reef. She understands the risk is small, but the consequence is large.

Irikandji are present all year round, and certainly occur around Hamilton Island. The most prominent case so far being the death of a tourist swimming off Hamilton Island in 2002.

I would think that when people are suggesting that you wear stinger suits in September, that they mainly have Irikandji jellyfish in mind. Given the swimmers to stings ratio the risk is obviously small, but you should understand the risk and be comfortable with it.

Mentioned in this post
Townsville
Townsville
Queensland, Australia
Hamilton Island
Hamilton Island
Whitsunday Islands, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
210 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: September - Stinger suits?

Yes, I was thinking the i jellyfish, it's "season" seems to be a little more vaguely defined that the box.

What to do...4 adults and 4 kids, if you take a walk and are swimming at one off the southern spots, then you are even further from help, should something happen...

At the moment I am thinking to look at hireing some, because it seems a shame not to swim in that warm water.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,880 posts
1,833 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: September - Stinger suits?

Hi

as I frequent visitor to the Whitsundays & Cairns etc... In early September I would not bother with a stinger suit however if it's late Sept / Oct which is the beginning of Stinger season I would highly recommend you wear one.

Most Australians travel to Nth Qld in September as it's actually the best month to do so as it's out of stinger season & also has the best weather.

if you are unsure ask your hotel they will advice you accordingly.

Mentioned in this post
Cairns
Cairns
Cairns Region, Australia
6. Re: September - Stinger suits?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 June 2011, 22:05
Sydney
Level Contributor
2,599 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: September - Stinger suits?

Again, just learn and consider the risks, and find the balance you are comfortable with.

I think what Ellemay is mostly true. September is outside the "stinger season". Stinger nets are not in use. Most people would not bother with stinger suits. The risks are small, but not non-existent.

Nobody wears stinger suits in Sydney. Nobody knows the exact range of Irikandji or exactly where they are found, or even exactly which ones cause a reaction.

Risk assessment is part of every trip, and there is a level of risk which you accept.

Have a look at the publication of the Reef Research Centre..

…crc.org.au/publications/brochures/Stingingj…

Mentioned in this post
Sydney
Sydney
New South Wales, Australia
Sydney
Level Contributor
13 posts
345 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: September - Stinger suits?

I'll be traveling to HI in mid September and was thinking the same thing so thanks for posting the question.

I could not find any info on stingers on the HI website and I would not have thought about if I did not do the further research. (of course they wouldn't have pictures of people in stinger suits on their website now would they?)

I will now think twice about allowing my preschoolers enter the water even at Catseye beach seeing that the jellies can sting your feet since the suits don't cover your feet.

I think I'll stick to the pools seeing that people are now saying that the I jelly fish can occur year round!

Has any one heard of the Irukandji Jellyfish occurring on Whitehaven beach?

Mentioned in this post
Catseye Beach
Catseye Beach
646 Reviews
Hamilton Island, Australia
Whitehaven Beach
Whitehaven Beach
1,719 Reviews
Whitsunday Island, Australia
Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: September - Stinger suits?

Websites that I've found helpful are:

This site has other helpful links about them at the bottom of the site

…qld.gov.au/goodhealthintnq/…jellyfish.asp

The other that I've found helpful as it lists stinger net locations

http://www.qldbeaches.com/stingers.html

Enjoy your holiday LTB

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: September - Stinger suits?

"I could not find any info on stingers on the HI website"

tourismwhitsundays.com.au/visitor-informatio…

Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island