We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another first timer

melbourne
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
another first timer

Hi everyone i am of to hamilton island next week (first time)i cant wait we are staying at the Palm bungalows,does anyone have any info on this resort also how much does a buggy cost to hire and can anyone suggest a nice place to eat

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu, Port Vila, Espiritu Santo
Level Contributor
3,879 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: another first timer

Hi Julie,

Last time we were there we loved the cafe near the dolphin pool. Not sure if it is still there but that was fantastic!

Pricewise the food on the marina side, opposite the ocean side was usually more gentle on the pocket.

A buggy would cost more than it did when we were there so I'll let a more recent visitor answer that one.

Happy travels,

Jen

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: another first timer

Hi Julie

I am also visiting there next week .. I hope the weather is kind to us

A buggy will cost about $80.00 for the day .. but you can hire for an hour, half a day, full day or overnight

There is heaps of info on this forum, both from me and many other recent travellers .. a search will be give you lots of ideas

Not sure when you ask about info on the resort .. whether you mean the whole island or the palm bungalows

The bungalows are situated either side of the main "road" .. they dont have beach views but are well spaced out .. the ones nearest the main resort are obviously nearer the water but the others are only across the road and look out on the tropical gardens

I had heard they were refurbishing these but not sure how many have been completed .. they were a little dated the last time I had a sneak view but were comfortable with a bed, small lounge, kitchenette and a bathroom with a small patio at the front

There are over 10 restaurants on HI ranging from very expensive to the tavern which has pub type meals .. plus of course the fish and chip shop plus bakery which does pies and sandwiches for lunch plus another outlet which sells quiches, wraps etc

The restaurant mentioned in the previous post is called Toucan's and looks out on the old "dolphin" pool and beach area

Most of the restaurants are situated in the marina .. but there are free shuttle buses which run from morning till late at night so you dont have to walk although it isn't far .. but there is a hill each side which can be a bit draining

Make sure you visit one tree hill to watch the wonderful sunset.. you can get drinks from here or take or your own ... we do

I like the tavern to eat as I think it is good value for money .. other good restaurants are Romano's (italian) manta ray the pizza place, Mariner's which is seafood and of course if you want to splurge the Denison Star which I believe has excellent food

Also the Beach House is on catseye beach and this is probably the most expensive especially if you order wine with your meal

All restaurants have a menu outside so you can check them out but be aware that not all restaurants open each night .. they each take a turn to close so check out the activity sheet

You can download a copy from the official site www.hamiltonisland.com and go to the link for island activities

Hope this helps

Abbey

melbourne
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: another first timer

thanks abbey you obviously have been to HI a few times,that info was great and yes i hope the weather is kind what with all the rain etc that QLD is having.

We will be arriving on the 11th for a week fingers crossed.

thanks also to Jen i love hearing about different reastarants etc

i have never been to HI and i am really looking forward to it actually quite excited

4. Re: another first timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2009, 18:19
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island