We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HI Accommodation and Scuba Questions

LA,CA,USA
2 posts
Save Topic
HI Accommodation and Scuba Questions

Hi! My husband and I are currently scheduled to spend March 2 - March 6 on HI. We have a reservation at the Beach Club.

We are pretty adventurous and outdoors-y, but enjoy nice restaurants and clean/modern accommodations. From what I have read on these boards, I wonder if we would be better off canceling at the Beach Club and looking for an apartment or other rental (Qualia is out of our price range)? Would we still have access to a pool and beaches?

My second question is about scuba. I have emailed H2O Sportz, but wanted some unbiased feedback. Are their trips to the reef good? Over-crowded? Do they (or other boats) offer liveaboards departing from HI (or picking up at HI)? Would we be better off staying off of HI if we want to dive?

Thanks in advance!

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
808 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HI Accommodation and Scuba Questions

Personally I would stick with the accommodation at the Beach Club. It is getting a bit dated now, but so are many of the facilities on the island. I think that the restaurant at the Beach Club is one of the best choices on HI. During our visit last September, after trying the other eateries over the first four days, we decided to take most of our meals at Beach Club. Bit expensive (you probably wouldn't notice too much with the very weak Aussie dollar), but good quality. The beach club does provide a driver to take you anywhere you like on the island, so if eating out, there's no worry about both of you having a few drinks and having to drive a buggy.

I don't do scuba, so can't help with that part of your question.

Hope the weather holds off for you. Been very wet up there recently.

LA,CA,USA
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: HI Accommodation and Scuba Questions

Thanks AndPancho.

Sydney
Level Contributor
563 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: HI Accommodation and Scuba Questions

Hi Ausvacation09

Recommend to stay at the Beach Club. It is more private and is in a great spot. The Whitsunday Apartments have a good view, but are a little old. I stayed in a one bedroom private villa (got home yesterday) on the Marina Side of the Island (you get a free buggy) and it was just beautiful (5 star!). It is self contained and had nice views.

About scuba. There is the Fantasea Reefworld trip you can do (full day) out to the reef. You should check out their website for more information. I personally didnt want to spend a full day on the reef and with a lot of people as i have spent 5 nights cruising the northern end of the great barrier reef a few years ago. Instead, i went with the H20 Sportz half day snorkelling tour. It was just for 3 hours, but we got to snorkel and see some of the reef around one of the islands and then to Whitehaven Beach. It only takes about 25 people.

4. Re: HI Accommodation and Scuba Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 05:19
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island