We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
New Zealand
Level Contributor
315 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Couples accommodation??

Planning our first trip to HI early Sept for a week, after "Race week" and before school hols. There will be 4 couples (in our 40's and 50's) and we're hoping to rent two nice 2 b/r apartments - Marina or resort side not worried where. Have decided to rent 2 apartments rather then a large holiday house (even though they're spectacular!!) because we will need 2 buggies and most of the large houses only have one.

Have checked out all the websites (Stayz etc) and in most of them the master bedroom is brilliant - spa, balcony etc. and the second b/r often appears small and mainly suitable for kids although they do have their own ensuite.

Does anyone know if there are some 2 b/r units available where the second b/r is also really nice ie. view, balcony etc.?? All suggestions appreciated!

Also, I understand on the resort side of the island are the Frangipani, Lagoon and Hibiscus - which order are these in - which one is closest to the main resort area? Thanks for all your help.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couples accommodation??

Check out google earth .... Hibuscus is the first complex closest to the Whitsunday apartments, Lagoon are in the middle and Frangipani is at the end

The walk between all of them on the front road is only about 5 minutes .. so all are quite close together

I agree that most apartments are built with the main bedroom getting all the extras and as you said, the 2nd bedroom is lesser quality

and it is difficult if you all pay the same money and who gets the best one ... I got really miffed on an overseas trip once when I did all the arranging and when we got to our suite, the other couple grabbed the king size bed, ensuite etc and we got the twin beds with the common shared bathroom... wasn't happy Jan

I think you will need to look up behind the Marina area as these are the more recently built apartments and you might have more luck with 2 bedrooms having the same view .. there are some which have 2 levels so maybe they have 2 bedrooms both facing the view

The other apartments you mentioned are very popular with families as they have direct access to the beach but for couples, it doesn't matter because as you say you will have the buggy and can drive where you want .. there is also a free shuttle service which stops outside all the apartments

The Edge are fabulous but are quite pricey so I dont know what your budget is whether these might be suitable

Also how much can you get a house for .. as it might work out the same if you rented an extra buggy for the week .. cost would be about $560.00 so you would need to factor this in

But I think wherever you will have this problem of some bedrooms being much more special than others

Of course the other option is to rent an apartment each in the same complex and all have your own buggy's ... you should be able to get an apartment for about $325.00 a night for 7 nights ... or else one couple pay more for the big bedroom

hope this is of some help

Abbey

New Zealand
Level Contributor
315 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couples accommodation??

Thanks Abbey. No offence against kids (have been there and done that!!) but are we more likely to have a kids free zone at the Edge, Shorelines etc. rather than on Catseye? Will be outside of school hols but I know this is still no guarantee.

Good idea about hiring the extra buggy though.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Couples accommodation??

Possibly but all apartments appeal to people in different ways .. sometimes the younger trendier families want the new trendier apartments whereas older people go more for comfort and dont worry too much about whether the kitchen is stainless steel with granite benchtops

It is very hilly and bushy in the area you mention so you probably would be less prone to noise as the apartments are sometimes 2 stories to take advantage of the view and families dont always want steps ..

The Edge are built down a steep hill with quite an interesting road in and out .. they really are wonderful ... I checked the penthouse out a couple of years ago and they were looking for $6,000,000.00 .. I dont know if they got it but it had 4 bedrooms and a small pool/spa out the front of the loungeroom on the patio .. simply amazing

If you were able to book a 4 bedroom one, I think they have 2 buggy spaces ,, but you still have the problem of who gets the amazing main bedroom with bathroom looking out across the Whitsundays

good luck

Abbey

New Zealand
Level Contributor
315 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couples accommodation??

Yes - still a dilemma, but I think seeing as how I'm organising the trip......

I can certainly try anyway!

Thanks Abbey - looking forward to finally seeing the island.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Couples accommodation??

I agree .. you do all the work, you get the best bedroom LOL

Look forward to hearing where you finally settled on .. I am sure you will have a great time .. at least I certainly hope so after all the work you are putting in !!!!!!!!!

Abbey

6. Re: Couples accommodation??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 16 February 2009, 14:18
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Couples accommodation??

Sounds perfect Pauline for 4 couples .. especially if they get 2 apartments, plenty of room

thanks for your input

Abbey

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Couples accommodation??

Sorry should have said Paul, my mistake

Abbey

9. Re: Couples accommodation??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 August 2009, 05:23
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island