We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic flights from Hamilton

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic flights from Hamilton

I've tried to research what scenic flights are on offer from Hamilton Island and there only seems to be one company 'AVTA.' We would like to see Heart Reef as well as Hill Inset. The only tour that seems to cover both is the Reefworld (reef discovery) with 2 hours at the pontoon. It is a rather expensive tour so I want to make sure I definitely get to see what I'm coming for. Has anyone done this tour and and are there good views of Whitehaven and Hill Inlet as well as Heart Reef and some of the other islands?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic flights from Hamilton

I haven't done this particular flight so am unable to help specificially

If you look back through the most recent posts .. there was a contributor who lives on the island and works for the air tour company

It is difficult for someone who is directly involved in a company as you are unable to self promote on TA .. which is right.. but many times they do have information that most people dont have

I would PM this poster and ask their advice

Also contact the tour desk as they have access to all tours which leave from HI

If you go to the www.hamiltonisland.com.au offical site, there is a link to all activities available to visitors .. they give all the costs involved

Again hopefully someone who has done this tour will reply to you

Abbey

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic flights from Hamilton

Hi, my wife & I did the trip your after back in Oct.during our 20th. Anniversary.It was run by Avta.

It's called "Reef & Beach Explorer" by Seaplane.!

It cost $379 p.p & heres what you get...This was all a surprise to my wife as I'd arranged it that way !

Seaplane flies you near Daydream Island,over Hayman Island & sightseeing of a few more! At Heart reef the pilot made sure that everyone got a good view of the reef & that we all got good pics doing a couple of loops around it ! Then he flew us to Whitehaven Beach approaching Hill Inlet from the angle you see the photo's in catalogues etc.Beautiful! Then the plane lands in the calm waters at Whitehaven beach,much to the shock of my wife who had no idea what was going on!The pilot handed me a "cooler bag" as we disembarked prompting my wife to ask 'whats that for ?' So I opened it & layed out a Blanket,pulled out some glasses & opened the Champagne, much to her delight & then we nibbled on the also provided fruit platter as we drank the champagne !

You get 1 1/2 hrs to walk around this white silica beach which is just awesome.Take your swimwear !

The flight back to Hamilton Island from here was about 10 mins.... Trip worth every cent...The views of the Gr8 Barrier Reef from above are just something that will stay with me forever!

Highly recommended...Worth splashing out on !

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
309 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic flights from Hamilton

Wow, what a trip!

Any idea if they do something similar but with snorkling instead of whitehaven?

Melbourne...
Level Contributor
86 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic flights from Hamilton

As far as I know flying to any snorkeling destinations only really leaves you with a flight to "Reefworld" near "Heart Reef" both accessed by Helicopter !

Check www.avta.com.au for choices !

Maybe a private charter is the other option but expect to part with ludicrous amounts of $$$..:(

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
309 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic flights from Hamilton

thanks, your right though the prices are huge.

6. Re: Scenic flights from Hamilton

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 August 2009, 05:22
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island