We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place to visit great barrier reef in feb

london
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
best place to visit great barrier reef in feb

We are currently traveling up the east coat on route to cairns. We want to see the great barrier reef but need some advise on where the best place is to see it, as don't want to catch the wrong season, flies, weather etc. We finish our trip in cairns 25th feb, so any advise would be great.

thank you!!!

Australia
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place to visit great barrier reef in feb

I'm also in the same boat. What are the options of getting to the barrier reef from Hamilton Island and how much does it cost. I read in the forum that there is H20 company which takes a small number of people Vs a ferry like service that takes a bigger group.

Does it cost anything to snorkel? What about people that cannot swim? Is there an underwater boat/sub?

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best place to visit great barrier reef in feb

Londond, a few options along the way. Probably easiest are Airlie Beach, Cairns and Port Douglas. Check weather forecasts and pick the first ok day to have a guarantee.

Giraffe. they have a trip from hamilton to a pontoon where they will cater more to non swimmers than a dive trip. Hardy or Knuckle reef?, tad confused. Whitsunday expert will set you straight.

Whitsundays
Level Contributor
725 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place to visit great barrier reef in feb

Giraffez...

H2o now have a new boat which I think is called Extreme.. they do half day trips to Whitehaven Beach and Catraran Bay (for snorkeling/diving around the fringing reef - noodles and vests are normally carried on all vessels for non-swimmers)... I have not personally been on it but judging from the locations and word of mouth you should have a g8 day out.

You will also find that you have a better day out then with Fantasea's Reefworld (this one's for you Verdent:)at Hardy Reef.

Londonelfin... with the temperamental weather in Feb (right up the coast) I would highly recommend that you decide and book a trip the day before you go out.

SB

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,668 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best place to visit great barrier reef in feb

Giraffez

In another post you said you are travelling with a 15 month old then you might be better with the Fanteasea trip but it isnt cheap

It is a full day from about 8.15 am to about 5.00 pm but you travel on a large cat and on the pontoon there is heaps of shade, a viewing underwater room, a "submarine" which sits below the water line and of course snorkelling platforms

Beaware that if you go to Whitehaven there is no shade there .. the beautiful white beach meets scrub with no decent trees to sit under ... you are very exposed although there is an area set a bit back where there are tables but it gets very hot there

The clownfish club minds babies and children whilst you do a snorkelling trip .. they only ask they have the child for a session the day before so they can be assured the child is happy to stay with them

Just an option if you really want to enjoy some time snorkelling without exposing the little one to too much sun and heat

Abbey

Australia
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best place to visit great barrier reef in feb

Thanks all, Catraran Bay - is that considered as the barrier reef?

Abbey, we are still debating whether to take the 15 month old out to sea.... at that age, they still need their regular day naps and going out on a day trip will exhuast her out.

Would you still be able to see the fish if you snorkel? For diving, you do need some swimming skills don't you?

Australia
Level Contributor
2,617 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best place to visit great barrier reef in feb

This may seem like a stupid question so please don't laugh.... I am short sighted.... i can't see a thing without my specs and I don't wear contacts.... now that I think about it, doesn't this defeat the purpose of snorkelling/diving at the reef :)

Interested to hear other peoples comments about this.

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
2,838 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best place to visit great barrier reef in feb

Giraffe, me too. Most operators will have goggles for short sighted people. Get in early for a choice.

Q'Land
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: best place to visit great barrier reef in feb

weather is not real good way up north at the moment.

maybe consider spending a night or 2 on Lady Elliot Island - a coral cay at southern end of the GBR.

Access via light plane from Bundaberg or Hervey Bay.

The snorkelling is right off the beach a few metres from your room.

Moscow, Russia
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best place to visit great barrier reef in feb

Hi Giraffez:

I have never been to HI before, but I hope to get a lot of snorkelling there, according to Google Earth map of the island. (I have problem with my ears, so real diving is too painful for me).

I did snorkelling in the Maldives, Seychelles, Borneo etc., and I have tons of excellent underwater photoes, including those of sharks, sea turtles, barracudas, catfish and many other sea creatures... So, if nature at HI is not damaged much (and it seems it is not, acc. the maps), there should be a lot to see there under water...

BR,

Sergo.

10. Re: best place to visit great barrier reef in feb

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2009, 08:21
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island