We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Holidays on Hamilton Island

Sacramento...
3 posts
Holidays on Hamilton Island

Would spending the week in between Christmas and Nes Years be good idea for Hamilton Island?

13 replies to this topic
Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,813 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: Holidays on Hamilton Island

How can total strangers know if you don't? We have no idea of who you are or what you like. Having said that, even a few days would be too long on HI for me, but I am not the one to laze on a beach or by the pool.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,983 posts
207 reviews
2. Re: Holidays on Hamilton Island

A good idea how? In what way? Weather will be rubbish and it will probably be crowded and expensive.

Would I go at Christmas, no.

All the best.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,955 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Holidays on Hamilton Island

Where else are you going on this trip? Or is this it? If it is I wouldn’t bother coming all the way from the US to just laze by a pool on less than ideal weather - head to the Caribbean instead

If it’s part of a bigger trip to Australia, then IMO there are better places to go to thatbare unique to Australia than being in a resort for a week. That week isn’t the best time to be coming to Australia anyway during peak of peak time.

We can’t possbly suggest alternatives, since were not mind readers.

Oz
Level Contributor
14,990 posts
50 reviews
4. Re: Holidays on Hamilton Island

Hi,

>>Would spending the week in between Christmas and Nes Years be good idea for Hamilton Island?<<

Nah.

Cheers,

Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
5. Re: Holidays on Hamilton Island

We love Hamilton as it's an easy holiday especially when you have kids. Transport is easy- with walk, buggy or bus. It's a beautiful spot in Qld, great pools and restaurants. Lots to do- both on the island as well as travel around the great barrier reef. It will be busy but so will everything.

Level Contributor
5 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Holidays on Hamilton Island

All depends on how busy it will be.., we came one week of the school holidays and the island was packed, meaning very hard to get a table at a restaraunt unless you go at 5:30pm or be happy to wait for 30 -45 minutes for a seat! But that being said, if you want to do it for a family adventure go for it. It’s such a beautiful Island even when busy. The other positive is that more bars and restaraunts are open because of the volume of people. Most maintenance work is done off season

Edited: 15 October 2018, 11:22
1 post
7. Re: Holidays on Hamilton Island

got back yesterday 19/10/18 great place for a holiday, very easy, all staff are friendly, prices a little bit above Sydney prices. lots and lots to do. Dent island tour and lunch was great. $80. parasailing for 2 was $150 a couple. would definitely go there again and amazingly no flies or mosquitoes. well not where we stayed. outside of school holidays

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
94 reviews
8. Re: Holidays on Hamilton Island

Weather will not necessarily be rubbish. What a sweeping statement.

It can rain , storms may blow in the afternoon, or may not . Will more likley be cloudy. It is the rainy season, but you can get days that are lovely and sunny. It depends on what blows in from the Coral sea. If it is a cyclone then you have days warning. Lows get more persistent rain. Typically weather that is heavier has come in later.

But you need to be comfortable the weather could be a mixed bag. There are stingers in the water then, but you can still do reef trips a d diving etc. there are heaps of pools to cool off in. Less to do if there is persistent rain.

Xmas is busier as lots of people want to go somewhere tropical for xmas.

But who knows if it will suit you!

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
4,983 posts
207 reviews
9. Re: Holidays on Hamilton Island

Who said anything about rain and storms ham, IMO the weather between Xmas and NYE is rubbish.

If you like it, good for you but you live in the tropics, the OP and I don’t. So please offer your own opinions and leave others to theirs without comment thanks very much.

All the best.

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
7,212 posts
94 reviews
10. Re: Holidays on Hamilton Island

If you offer an opnion and say its rubbish , explain why its rubbish. That is far more helpful, wihch is why I explained the actual weather you may get.

I also did not say i liked tthat weather, so that is your assumption.

Reply to: Holidays on Hamilton Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island