We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chalkies beach or reefworld?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
22 reviews
6 helpful votes
Chalkies beach or reefworld?

Hey

I am deciding if I should book Reef World or the Sail and Snorkle Whitehaven tours? I really want to go to whitehaven beach and snorkle but which area/ reef is better? I am happy to do a half day whitehaven beach tour if Reefw

Is Reefworld over rated and touristy?

8 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
22 reviews
6 helpful votes
1. Re: Chalkies beach or reefworld?

I am happy to do half day whitehaven if reef world is worth it.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
237 posts
117 reviews
100 helpful votes
2. Re: Chalkies beach or reefworld?

Hi....What did you decide?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
22 reviews
6 helpful votes
3. Re: Chalkies beach or reefworld?

Hi Jen-jer,

Perfect timing as I snorkled chalkies yesterday and Reefworld the day before.

I would say it depends how long you are staying on the island. Reefworld (unless you fly there or back) is a whole day tour and chalkies is half a day.

With Reefworld we chose to cruise there and fly back. There are several activities you can do on the reef (e.g a submarine tour, diving). So because we chose to fly back it meant we only spent half a day on the reef and in all honesty that was plenty. You can see the reef in so many ways but it looks all the same. Flying back to Hamilton Island is the highlight of trip so far.

With chalkies, i originally planned to only go to whitehaven but due to numbers they rescheduled us to chalikes/ Whitehaven. You got to snorkel for an hour and whitehaven for an hour and I actually think that is perfect time for snorkle and relax.

The Reefs: Both reefs i felt quite dissapointed. I have snorkled the GBR in Cairns and that was a lot more colourful and variety of fish and coral. I would choose GBR because you got to see sea turtles, nemos etc. The reef on Chalkies was a little bit more colourful but less types of fish. The reefs are still quite cyclone damaged but you can see bit where they are getting their colour back.

The tours: Both companies are great. No complaints with either of them. Because it is migration season the speedboat (Chalkies tour) was able to stop and get relatively close to some whales. The staff are very helpful if you need help with everything (I found that with everyone on the island!).

Good luck on your choice! I am sure you wont be disappointed with what you choose and Hamilton Island is a beautiful island.

1 post
4. Re: Chalkies beach or reefworld?

Hi Tiarn87, how long does it take to get to Reefworld on a boat from HI? Cheers.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
207 reviews
67 helpful votes
5. Re: Chalkies beach or reefworld?

About 90 minutes Liz H.

All the best.

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
237 posts
117 reviews
100 helpful votes
6. Re: Chalkies beach or reefworld?

I read about

2 hrs from HI

3 from Airlie

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
5,974 posts
207 reviews
67 helpful votes
7. Re: Chalkies beach or reefworld?

Took us 90 minutes.

All the best.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
41 posts
22 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Chalkies beach or reefworld?

It was 2 hours by boat and 30min by helicopter :)

Reply to: Chalkies beach or reefworld?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island
Recent Conversations