We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rainfall

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Rainfall

Hi all,

Im planning to visit the Whitsundays next year. The heat/humidity isn’t too much of a concern since Im living in Singapore at the moment. But I would hate to be stuck inside because of rain or cold on a beach so was wondering when was the best month to book? Jan when its hottest and chance the rain? Or something like April with less rain but will it be chilly?

Thank you in advance!

9 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
11,460 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rainfall

google average weather - January is rainy and September is the driest

bom.gov.au/climate/…cw_033255.shtml

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
10,914 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rainfall

I'd look at May -September. In other words not during the wet season. No risk of cyclones (Hi was badly damaged this year during cyclone season) and no deadly marine stingers. It isn't going to be cold by UK standards..

Sydney
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rainfall

In my opinion - it's too cold to swim in the Whitsundays from May to August. The low 20s doesn't cut it for me. The (unheated) pools are cold. In summer rain will usually be an afternoon storm - which you'll be used to from Singapore.

Everything's a compromise. Have you looked at anything further north?

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rainfall

Thanks for the reply

I feel the same- I went to Sydney in September last year and people were sunbathing...there were only a couple of days it felt warm enough to do that to me- some days i even had a jumper on- I dont mind a bit of rain but not all day trip ruining rain.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rainfall

Jan seems better than Feb/March although everyone seems to say Jan is the rainiest month....maybe April is a good compromise.... still 27 degrees but less rain....or would you just go for january for the heat?

Oz
Level Contributor
14,508 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rainfall

Hi,

The Wet season is the least of your worries in Jan it's the deadly box jelly fish (being killed might ruin your holiday) and cyclones which might see you not get there at all.

April (if the area hasn't been impacted by a cyclone that season) or September would be my choice if it has to be Whits.

The Whitsundays are fabulous for sailing but if it's beaches you want there are thousands much better further south that aren't in the tropics and would be great in Jan except for the holiday crowds.

If it's diving you're after head further north to Cairns or Port Douglas and dive the outer reef. Or south to Lady Elliot Island.

http://www.ladyelliot.com.au

outback-australia-travel-secrets.com/box-jel…

Cheers,

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rainfall

Thanks so much for all the info

I was hoping to combine Port Douglas, Barrier reef and whitsundays so was trying to pick sometime hot but not rainy....I think the ideal would be Sept/Oct time by the sounds of it- but there is a chance I will be leaving for the UK in August so wouldnt be able to do it. Thats why Im considering the earlier part of the year.....do you think April would be a nice compromise?

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
10,766 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rainfall

April would be a nice compromise. Like you, we deal with the heat and humidity in Brisbane all the time, We were in PD in June this year and did not have a jumper on once, even on the rainy days we had, so in April, it will be even warmer, pools will still be nice and warm, and hopefully you will have sun.

Cheers.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rainfall

The climate is tropical rather than a Mediterranean type. That means the wet season is in the hot season and that there is some rainfall all year, as a rule. However, September is, on the average the driest month, and we find it a beautiful time there. This year we were there in June and although it is not hot, many people were swimming, myself included. The only heated pool is at the Reef hotel, as far as I know.

April is good as a rule.More chance of rain than September and still very warm.

Reply to: Rainfall
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hamilton Island