We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon cairns to sydney in june

Which Cairns hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
mayo
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Topic
honeymoon cairns to sydney in june

hi every1, the plan is fly from dublin via abu dhabi and sydney and start in cairns. go to port douglas and cape trip. drive to airlie beach and do whitsundays, fly to brisbane and then drive to sydney, go to noosa too. does this sound ok. we have 3 weeks in oz coz then the plan is to go to New Zealand for 2 weeks. what is best iteniary for cairns to sydney. if we fly from whitsundays to brisbane we will miss fraser island, is this a bad idea...how else could we get to fraser on our route without too much driving.

any tips/help on this route would be great. also we are not fussy on accomadation but want a really nice hotel in cairns for when we arrive to chill out...possible spa, etc to make it special for the first stop on honeymoon after such a long flight!!

thanks guys

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon cairns to sydney in june

Hi

If you want to do all that in only 3 weeks, you'll be so exhausted you won't enjoy yourselves.

Hope you have lots of money saved as in those time frames, you're going to have to fly everywhere and flights between small towns, ie Cairns to Whitsundays; Whitsundays to Brisbane; Brisbane to Hervey Bay to get your boat to Fraser Is, aren't cheap.

To stay in a Spa Hotel, Palm Cove, north of Cairns is the spa capital of Australia. From there you could do day trips to Port Douglas, Cape Trib, Reef etc. Go to my website and check out the accommodation in Palm Cove and Cairns. I also have my recommendations for things to do while here.

http://www.what-about-cairns-australia.com/

mayo
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon cairns to sydney in june

thank you for your reply.....accomadation looks amazing.

as for the iteniary......maybe we should leave out Fraser Island so and maybe from Dublin we should start in Sydney and work our way up. We have 3 weeks so how would you work it to def get Sydney/Brisbane/Noosa/Whitsundays and Cairns in?? we could do 3 and a half weeks in OZ and just do 1 and a half weeks in NZ!

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon cairns to sydney in june

I'd probably fly from Sydney to Brisbane and then hire a campervan oneway and travel north from there. From Brisbane to Cairns it's 19 hours DRIVING time, however you'd be breaking that up with all your stops.

Be careful to plan a good itinerary as you may spend too much time in one place and miss another.

I'd probably spend 4 days in Sydney, a couple of days on Gold Coast doing the touristy things like the fun parks (if you like that sort of thing), not much time in Brissy as "it's a city". Not a great deal to see, except southbank is nice. However, you can see similar at Townsville on The Strand and Cairns on The Esplanade.

Sunshine coast and glasshouse mountains about 2-3 days, Fraser Island 2 days, Whitsundays 3 days at most, Townsville overnight, Mission Beach 2 days. You could go to the reef from here as it's closer to the outer reef from here than it is in Cairns.

You need to spend quite a bit of time here in Cairns as there's so much to do and see. Make Cairns your base and just take day trips around. You also need to take into account traveling time.

RACQ can help you with a trip planner:

racq.com.au/travel/…trip_planner

You can drop off the campervan in Cairns and then fly from Cairns to Auckland.

Go to Jetstar website and sign up for their Jetmail.

www.jetstar.com.au

This way you'll receive all their specials and you can pick up some pretty good ones.

Currently from Cairns to Auckland you can get flights for $179.00 on 5th, 12th and 26 June. Also throughout most of June, you can pick up a flight from Sydney to Brisbane for $49.00.

Hope this helps

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,792 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: honeymoon cairns to sydney in june

Hi ulsterlady,

IMO if I was going to the Cairns district I would bypass Airlie Beach, that's my opinion.

Also I would stick to 3 weeks Australia and 2 weeks New Zealand (1 week in North Island & 1 South Island). I have been to NZ 3 times but will leave it up to the Kiwi’s to give advice.

Obviously the 3 main options (not all options) for accommodation are Cairns, Palm Cove and Port Douglas. My preference is Palm Cove due to it being quieter than the other 2. But Cairns and Port Douglas do have more facilities, and you get direct access to the reefs. Where Palm Cove you have to travel about half hour.

<<To stay in a Spa Hotel, Palm Cove, north of Cairns is the spa capital of Australia>>

Sorry sunjewel, I do agree FNQ has plenty of spa hotels, and I’m a born and bred Queenslander. And it hurts me to say this but I believe the Daylesford / Hepburn Springs area in Victoria takes the cake for most spas.

And I would not advise driving Brisbane to Cairns, a hell of a long way to drive near on 1700 kilometres. And the drive from Brisbane to Mackay (about 1000 Kilometres) is very uninspiring, to be honest IMO boring most of the way.

The drive from Sydney to Brisbane is a wonderful drive (approx. 900 kilometres) with some of the best beaches, inland towns and scenery in Australia.

Another option, it’s a bit flighty -

1. - 4 days Sydney (great place to stop, especially after your long flight)

http://www.sydney.com/

visitnsw.com/destinations/…

2. - Drive Sydney to Brisbane 6 days.

visitnsw.com/destinations/…

gclid=CLX_nLavla4CFYMmpAod1XVjIQ

http://www.visitnsw.com/

http://www.visitgoldcoast.com/

www.visitbrisbane.com.au/Travel/Default.aspx

3. - Drive from Brisbane to Noosa - Sunshine Coast 3 days, do a Fraser Island day trip.

queenslandholidays.com.au/destinations/…

s_kwcid=TC|7826|sunshine%20coast%20tourism||S|b|7319166970

http://www.visitnoosa.com.au/

www.fraserfree.com.au/…

4. - Return to Brisbane for flight to Cairns -

5. - 4 days Cairns and district.

6. - Fly Cairns to Alice Springs 3 days – tour to Uluru stay overnight.

http://www.uluru.com/index.html

ayersrockresort.com.au/alice-springs-tours/…

7. - Fly Alice to Sydney before flight to New Zealand

Just some other options for you to consider, it gives you a great and diverse range of places, sights and things to do.

Read the TA reports up at the top right of the page. Top 10 questions about AUSTRALIA

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255055-c3001/Austral…

Safe travels - Robert

mayo
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: honeymoon cairns to sydney in june

Hi

so maybe sydney to noosa and stop along the coast on way. we could then get the Fraser Island day tour from noosa. it would be nice to get that in since we are close enough to it.i dont think we had factored in all the driving correctly....so how is this:

sydney for 5 nights, drive the coast to Noosa with a 2 night stay on route somewhere and then 3 days in noosa, one of which to do the Fraser Island tour, then drive back to brisbane and fly to Airlie Beach, do 2/3 days there including whitsundays and then drive onto Cairns(one night stay on route) for 3 nights and Port Douglas for 2 nights. Fly Cairns to NZ.

is this any better or how else would make it work. 21 day in total???

Thanks a mill for all your replies....its all great and the links above were very helpful.

we are getting there...cant wait!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
29,858 posts
1,348 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: honeymoon cairns to sydney in june

Yes.. getting better - except I would just fly Sydney to the Sunshine Coast. (Noosa) hire a car & use your time exploring Noosa Hinderlands, Hervey Bay & touring a short day tour to Fraser island from Hervey bay - all doable from Noosa.

or better - you could do Fraser Island first - Sydney to Hervey Bay. - which would again save you time & you will see heaps more.

itinerary suggestion. - 21 days

SYD - 5 nights.

Fly SYD - Hervey Bay - do Fraser Island tour. - 2 days.

fraserislandtours.com.au/sites/default.asp

www.sunrover.com.au/fraser.htm…

Pick up car drive down to Noosa - Stay Noosa - 4 days

180 km, 2 hours 29 mins

drive Noosa back to Brisbane - drop off car - Fly Brisbane to Whitsundays. (Prosperpine Airport) pick-up car drive to Airlie Beach - stay 3 days

Drive Airlie Beach to Townsville - visit Magnetic Island. - stay 2 days.

275 km, 3 hours 34 mins

Drive to Mission Beach - stay 1 day -

239 km, 3 hours

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i18947-Getting_…

Drive Mission beach to Cairns - stay 1 day - 2hrs drive.

Drive Cairns to Port Douglas - check out Northern Beaches & Kuranda along the way.

Stay Port Douglas - 4 nights

Fly Cairns to NZ.

Edited: 12 February 2012, 22:53
mayo
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: honeymoon cairns to sydney in june

thank you again so much. that gives me a real good idea of a good iteniary.it all sounds great....still alittle undecided whether to drive or fly from Sydney to Noosa......dont want to fly too much....will be seeing alot of airports as we are so might stick to driving.....not sure yet tho. your comments are a great help now so thanks a mill.....im sure i will post more queries as i go along.....

Cairns, Australia
Level Contributor
70 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: honeymoon cairns to sydney in june

Hi

If you had more time, I would drive from Sydney to Brisbane, but you don't, so fly to Brisbane then hire car/van. I personally wouldn't stay on or visit Magnetic Island. There's nothing to do there except drive around the island. Beaches are nicer on the mainland or other islands along the qld coast.

If I was to visit an island, I would recommend Hinchinbrook Island, off Cardwell and near Mission Beach, however you would need more time.

Being on such a time limit, I would recommend Dunk Island off Mission Beach or Fitzroy Island off Cairns.

It's a shame you're on an extreme time limit.

There's so much to do and see and everyone has their opinions on what you should do and see.

You're probably more confused now, than when you started looking.

If you decide to fly from Brisbane to Airlie Beach, you'd be best to fly to Hamilton Island as it's only $49.00 as opposed to flying into Proserpine, on the mainland, which is $141.00. Both are flying with Jetstar.

You can take trips to Whitsunday Island from there and that's where Whitehaven Beach is. Whitehaven is probably THE BEST beach you'll see.

Anyway, I hope you're starting to put an itinerary together.

mayo
Level Contributor
72 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: honeymoon cairns to sydney in june

ah thank you so much....ok so we have 21 days in all so sydney for 5 nights, i do think we can make the drive from Sydney to Noosa instead of flying and stay 2 nights on the gold coast on route, the other half would enjoy the fun parks, etc. might leave out brisbane, its just another city after all...do 3 nights in noosa, 1 of which do a day tour to Fraser Island. drive back to brisbane and fly to Hamilton Island and do 3 nights here doing the Whitsundays. drive to Cairns for 4 nights and Port Douglas for 2 nights on average....sound any better do you think. sorry if i am all over the place, just so confusing and want to make sure we get it right!! atleast with every post i am getting that bit closer to finalizing the route...all the help is great.

Cradle...
Destination Expert
for Cradle Mountain-Lake St. Clair National Park
Level Contributor
11,792 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: honeymoon cairns to sydney in june

Hi Ulsterlady,

5 nights Sydney

2 nights GC

3 nights Noosa

3 nights HI

4 nights Cairns

2 nights PD

If my sums are correct that's 19 nights.

You have 21 days, that leaves no time for the Sydney to GC drive (900+kilometres), and you have no time for the Airlie Beach to Cairns drive (600+kilometres). If you want to spend the amount of nights you suggest you will be flying, not driving.

You need to rethink your itinerary.

Safe travels - Robert