We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cairns or Noosa Heads

1 post
Cairns or Noosa Heads

Me and my friend plan to go to Australia in October (to study and work). We can't decide if is better Cairn or Noosa Heads. Can you advise? What is pros and cons of both places? Is it true that Noosa is full of retirees?

Thank you in advance

4 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,855 posts
30 reviews
1. Re: Cairns or Noosa Heads

Not all retirees. Some even use proper English grammar!

It will be hotter and more humid in Cairns.

Suggest you do some research on both to see which suits you interests better. IMO, completely different experiences, although Port Douglas could be said to resemble Noosa Heads in its laid back, upmarket casual aspect. And both have beaches. Cairns does not.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
11,512 posts
17 reviews
2. Re: Cairns or Noosa Heads

Surely if you’re coming to study, the college or university matters more? Have you researched where you can get a place for a course that you want?

What kind of visas do you have?

I prefer Port Douglas to Cairns for a holiday and Noosa is a lovely place. Neither are obvious choices for overseas students though wanting to study and work,

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
11,599 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Cairns or Noosa Heads

If you want a backpacker scene, then if looking at the Sunshine Coast (of which Noosa Heads is part) then consider Mooloolaba. Sunshine Coast offers surf beaches, lovely hinterland, access to Fraser Island.

Cairns also offers a backpacker scene and has the reef and Daintree rainforest and will be much more humid at that time of year.

Up to you whether you want surfing or snorkeling.

Cheers.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
7,855 posts
30 reviews
4. Re: Cairns or Noosa Heads

If you are planning to work ( and have the appropriate Working Holiday Visas), it makes sense to go where there is a shortage of your particular skill sets. Cairns has a large transitory backpacker & gap year population.

Reply to: Cairns or Noosa Heads
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted