We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime in alice springs. How safe?

st petersburg fl
Level Contributor
8 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Crime in alice springs. How safe?

I heard Alice Springs has the highest crime rate of any Aussie city. Is it safe to walk from Quest Alice Springs hotel to the reptile center during the day. Its about a 1km walk.

Mentioned in this post
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Quest Alice Springs
Quest Alice Springs
593 Reviews
Alice Springs, Australia
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,384 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime in alice springs. How safe?

Yes, it's safe during the day.

Don't take photos of people. :)

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,349 posts
1,741 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime in alice springs. How safe?

Whether or not it has the highest crime rate in Australia I don't know, but for context Australian cities are in general very safe in world terms, and don't generally have the sorts of "no-go zones" you can get in certain cities in the Americas.

So what that means is that having the worst crime rate in Australia might not mean its dangerous in absolute terms.

I've wandered Alice without too much concern, and would walk the trip you describe.

Mentioned in this post
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime in alice springs. How safe?

The crimes that happen are not nessisarily something that would effect a tourist walking the streets, it's not shootings or anything like that. There are social issues in some parts of Alice springs caused by a multitude of things and this results in higher crime statistics.

My advice would be to take the usual precautions when in any city, don't engage in conversions with drunken people or agree to buy alcohol for anyone, don't approach rowdy groups of locals who are sitting in parks or the riverbank and you will have no issues :)

Darwin, Australia
Destination Expert
for Darwin
Level Contributor
6,408 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime in alice springs. How safe?

why do i have deja vu ? LOL

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane, Queensland
Level Contributor
9,676 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime in alice springs. How safe?

Good advice L0stris.

I have had a few "heated discussions" with USA citizens re their crime rates - one had the cheek to tell me that even though their murder stats were stupidly high, Australia's "violent assault" rate is much higher than the USA......OP, this is just not true - in order to win this particular argument, I did a lot of research into this, and we categorise things differently here in Aus than you guys do. Crime on all levels is lower than in the USA, and as the above posters have said, please take sensible precautions, be aware of social issues, and enjoy your time here in Aus.

And apologies from all of us for the closure of your previous thread, thanks to one poster getting out of hand. We are all quite nice actually.

cheers.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,132 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime in alice springs. How safe?

As sweetbicuit points out, you will be much safer walking down the street in Alice Springs than anywhere in the USA - even if Alice Springs had the 'highest crime rate' in Australia - which is doesn't.

Be sensible and sensitive to people around you and you'll be just fine.

Mentioned in this post
Alice Springs
Alice Springs
Red Centre, Australia
Australia
Australia
South Pacific
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime in alice springs. How safe?

Just as an example of what sweetbuiscuit is saying, the suburb in which I live had an inflated crime rate for a while, as it is a new area with lots of houses being built, and had lots of theft from worksites of building material. So my suburb had a high crime rate even though there was no threat to the actual residents, as they didn't specify what the crimes actually were.

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,384 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime in alice springs. How safe?

Byron Bay, perchance?

Mentioned in this post
Byron Bay
Byron Bay
Byron Shire, Australia
Melbourne
Level Contributor
1,813 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Crime in alice springs. How safe?

One of the streets anyway ;)

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
29,384 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Crime in alice springs. How safe?

I sense the approach of a great wave: https:/…Great_Wave_off_Kanagawa2.jpg