We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alice to Airlie

Kent, United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Topic
Alice to Airlie

Hi there!

My boyfriend and I have been road tripping Australia for a little while now, and have decided to drive to Alice Springs and see Uluru by car.

We have done plenty of research on the trip and are well aware of the vast size of the country so have given ourselves lots of time (around a week to get there and see Uluru).

The only problem we are having is that from the centre, we want to get back to the East coast and after a quick google map have seen it will take us about 26hrs. Again, timing isn't an issue for us, however I haven't been able to find anything anywhere to prepare us for what kind of drive it will be, such as places to stop, road quality and petrol locations etc.

We are doing the drive in a pretty loaded 25 year old Holden Barina so want to make sure we are going to be safe.

If anyone could offer any advice or help or just a bit of an insight on the journey we'd be really grateful!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
13,434 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alice to Airlie

"have given ourselves lots of time (around a week to get there and see Uluru)." From where? IMO you will need 6-7 days in the Centre. Allow time to get there.

From Uluru, drive to Airlie Beach via Alice Springs, Tennant Creek, Mt Isa and Charters Towers. All good seals road.

Edited: 02 February 2016, 10:30
Geelong...
Destination Expert
for Geelong, Great Ocean Road
Level Contributor
7,078 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alice to Airlie

That's a huge drive in a 25 year old car the size of a Barina thats fully loaded. For a trip of that nature I'd be wanting to make certain the vehicle is well serviced and that you have got Total care with one of the states motoring organisations in case of breakdowns.

For a trip like that I would be wanting to put as much thought as possible into planning it.

Hope you get some sound advice on the trip.

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
13,434 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alice to Airlie

We did a round trip from Sydney to Adelaide, AS, Darwin, Townsville and back down the east coast to Sydney, 4 of us, in an old Datsun Stanza many years ago. It was old but very reliable.

Yes, you want to make sure that your car is reliable before you attempt this trip.

Edited: 02 February 2016, 11:12
Yulara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alice to Airlie

Do you have a time limit you want to do it in. Also would you consider the south route through Coober Pedy then towards Broken Hill and take the inland route up to Queensland. It is scenic on those roads, they are safe and very little traffic to content with and less heat further down south.

Kent, United Kingdom
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Alice to Airlie

Sorry I should have been more clear.

We are leaving from Adelaide so we have given ourselves 4 overnight stops. First night at Port augusta, 2 nights at Coober Pedy, and then Kulgera. We were going to spend 1 night near Uluru so we could see the sunset and sunrise, but would also like to go to the Kings Canyon national Park. Do you think we will need longer then? I'm unsure of the actual Centre part of the trip.

Thanks for your advice so far!

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
13,434 posts
164 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alice to Airlie

IMO there is a lot more research you need to do before you undertake this trip. Driving all the way from Adelaide to Uluru to spend 1 night there, is just a waste of time IMO. You need 6-7 nights in the Centre to make it worth while.

7. Re: Alice to Airlie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2017, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Alice Springs