We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 Full day in Alice

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
10 reviews
1 Full day in Alice

HI All

My wife and I will be doing a Uluru tour emurun.com.au/3-day-uluru-camping-tour/ which will be finishing up in Alice springs on Friday 25th March 2016 (Good Friday)

We will have all of the Saturday to spend in Alice, and will be flying out on the Sunday (to Darwin) at 12:30pm.

I have 2 questions.

1. I was thinking of hiring a car on the Sat, and returning it to the airport on the Sunday before we fly out. A few rental places seem to be closed, but Thrifty is open. Anyone have any feedback on them.. Also I think this is better that just hiring the car for 1 day, and then having to get a bus/taxi to the airport

2. I was thinking of what to do for our one day.. Some have said the a visit to the Desert Park, Simpsons Gap, and Stanley Chasm. Is it worth visiting these places, or will they be similar to the other places I would have already seen on my EmuRun tour. Also if anyone has any other suggestions. I am open to hearing them. Also do most of these sites charge to see them, or are they free.

Thanks all

Sydney
Destination Expert
for Croatia
Level Contributor
17,799 posts
170 reviews
1. Re: 1 Full day in Alice

I would go to Simpsons Gap, Stanley Chasm, Ormiston Gorge and Glen Helen. Not sure if Stanley Chasm charges an entry fee. We visited it many years ago and it didn't then. It was closed for the day when we were there a few years ago. Others don't charge a fee.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
31,276 posts
2,065 reviews
2. Re: 1 Full day in Alice

Hi,

Another vote for the West McDonnell Ranges - they are definitely worth doing.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g255063-c85960/Alice-…

Alice Springs...
Destination Expert
for Alice Springs, Kings Canyon, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Red Centre, Northern Territory
Level Contributor
794 posts
1,944 reviews
3. Re: 1 Full day in Alice

Hi Craig O,

Sorry for a late recommendation.

I would advise you visit the Desert Park and/or even the closer, available, Reptile Centre in town, just off of, Stuart Terrace.

Here, you will not only have the chance to see a range of reptiles, but also have the opportunity to hold the actual snakes and lizards themselves. This is an awesome experience in itself, especially for the first time.

Unfortunately, you will miss the West MacDonnell ranges due to your limited time constraints.

On the positive side, it will mean that you will have the opportunity to come back here and spend more time in this timeless land.

Anyway, there are a couple of options are available for you.

Simpsons Gap is only 20km from Alice, is only a few minutes’ walk from the car park and has free entry.

Try and ensure a very early, dusk morning arrival.

This may treat you in having the privilege in spotting the, ever elusive, Black footed Wallaby within the rocks.

Standley Chasm, is managed, owned and operated by the local Angkerle people and there is an entrance fee of $8.00 to help keep this attraction open.

(The entry price may be more as we have been travelling for quite some time and haven't been back for 2 years).

A 20 minute walk one way into the Chasm, will provide you with spectacular views of the 30 metre towering cliffs above you, (although to be honest, a fit individual can easily make it in half the time).

The golden window hour, is centred on the midday sun and depending on the time of year, as to when the chasm actually lights up and glows a glorious dark orange and red.

In regards to car hire, again, we haven't been back awhile, but a key drop, has always been available at the airport at all hours.

We have used Avis and especially Budget, because they are the cheapest and offer great QF points.

There is no-one to do the car check, just park your car, drop your key and off you go!

Of course, I recommend you take photos, before and after as we do, but never had an issue in over 20 years.

I would also advise you contact your eventual chosen hire company, not only to ensure there aren't any doubts, but confirm all the details.

Edited: 05 February 2016, 15:01
4. Re: 1 Full day in Alice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2017, 05:16