We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

ayers rock to alice springs via kings canyon

Delaware
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Topic
ayers rock to alice springs via kings canyon

While in Ayers Rock, I want to go to Kings Canyon. I thought that I would take a AAT Kings tour that goes to Kings Canyon and after the rim walk, it continues to Alice Springs. I thought that Alice Springs was only 3 1/2 hours from Kings Canyon, but it seems to take the bus several more hours to get there. Is it really further away than I thought or does the bus make stops on the way?

Thanks

Emu Run Experience - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Adventure Tours Australia
Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips
Alice Wanderer Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Outback Elite Tours
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: ayers rock to alice springs via kings canyon

It's a more like a 4.5-5 hour drive (475km).

The bus may well be making a stop or two. There used to be a roadhouse with a singing dingo that was a popular stop a few years ago although I expect by now it is no longer with us (the dingo that is, not the roadhouse)

Edited: 09 January 2016, 04:36
South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,136 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: ayers rock to alice springs via kings canyon

The bus comes out the long way from Kings Canyon to Alice Springs (via the Lasseter and Stuart Highways) to avoid the corrugated gravel of the Mereenie Loop Road north of Kings Canyon.

Delaware
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: ayers rock to alice springs via kings canyon

Thanks, i'll take the bus back to Ayers Rock instead.

Level Contributor
14 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: ayers rock to alice springs via kings canyon

We called by the roadhouse today on the way back from Kings Canyon after reading about it in Lonely Planet Guide.Quirky little place with a nice burger and a cold beer but never saw the singing dingo:-(

Yulara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: ayers rock to alice springs via kings canyon

Here is the explanation. There are 3 AAT Kings Coaches that do that transfer. It involves 1 Yulara based coach and 2 Alice Springs based coaches doing extended tours. The tour you will be on goes to Kings Canyon on the Yulara based coach. While that tour is going on in the early morning 1 AAT Kings Coach is leaving Alice Springs via the Stuart Highway and Lasseter Highway bound for Kings Canyon. In the afternoon at Yulara the 2nd Alice Springs based coach is finished its extended tour and is returning to Alice Springs that afternoon. At 2:30pm all three coaches meet up on the corner of the Lasseter Highway and the Luritja Highway. The passengers who booked Kings Canyon day tour ending in Alice Springs then get off the Yulara based coach and board the Alice Springs based coach bound for Alice Springs. The Alice Springs based coach headed to Kings Canyon will disembark their passengers bound directly for Uluru and place them on the Yulara based coach that did the Kings Canyon day tour. Then all three coaches will be on their way. If you do the Kings Canyon day tour which finishes at Alice Springs you will change coaches at the corner and head to Alice Springs via the Lasseter and Stuart Highway. The coach will normally make a mandatory stop at Erldunda Road House for a meal break and mandatory fatigue break for the driver. The coaches AAT Kings use cannot legally go at a greater speed than 100km/h. They have speed limiters on the engines so even though on the Stuart Highway the speed limit is posted as 130km/h, it will take a coach much longer.

York, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Western Australia
Level Contributor
7,347 posts
1,652 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: ayers rock to alice springs via kings canyon

<<<Quirky little place with a nice burger and a cold beer but never saw the singing dingo>>>

Yeah, well it was 9 years ago that I saw him and he was a few years old at that point.

Delaware
Level Contributor
116 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: ayers rock to alice springs via kings canyon

Thanks for the explanation Brisbane41. I think that I will go back to Ayers Rock unless I decide to spend a couple of days in Alice Springs to do the MacDonald Ranges. If you have seen my other posts, I can't decide what to do with 3 extra days- spend a few of days in Adelaide, Alice Springs or Darwin! Too many places, not enough time!

Yulara, Australia
Level Contributor
1,191 posts
354 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: ayers rock to alice springs via kings canyon

It is tough with too many choices and not enough time. Even I have not seen all that I want to see in the area. One of my Japanese friends on a working holiday recently got a bus from either Alice Springs or Uluru that went to Adelaide stopping the night at Coober Pedy. Unfortunately I do not have anymore information on that one. I have only been to Adelaide twice on a cruise ship. I found the city was easy enough to see in one day and don't know too much more about it. When I drive between Yulara and my home town in NSW I go by Coober Pedy which I find interesting for tourism.

9. Re: ayers rock to alice springs via kings canyon

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2017, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Alice Springs